Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I do not particularly like my job right now and would really like to work in a bike shop, problem is I dont know who is hiring and who is not. Can anyone lend a little help?

Dan

·
Wrench-O-Phile
262 Posts
Getting started in a shop can have more to do with who you know than what you know... but it's very helpful to have a combination of the two.

Best place to start is at the LBS you frequent. See if they need some help keeping the shop clean or building bikes for X-Mas. Due to liability, shops might not be able to let you actually work on customers bikes until you are on the payroll.

Almost every bike shop job I have ever gotten was because the people knew me first and understood the level of my mechanical ability and cycling experience. Showing professionalism and making sure anyone that will potentially hire you fully understands your loyalty to the shop and strong customer service will really help.

Mechanics are somewhat transient by nature and you may just have to wait until a slot opens up... but you want the LBS to have you on their minds when it does. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elvota said:
Getting started in a shop can have more to do with who you know than what you know... but it's very helpful to have a combination of the two.

Best place to start is at the LBS you frequent. See if they need some help keeping the shop clean or building bikes for X-Mas. Due to liability, shops might not be able to let you actually work on customers bikes until you are on the payroll.

Almost every bike shop job I have ever gotten was because the people knew me first and understood the level of my mechanical ability and cycling experience. Showing professionalism and making sure anyone that will potentially hire you fully understands your loyalty to the shop and strong customer service will really help.

Mechanics are somewhat transient by nature and you may just have to wait until a slot opens up... but you want the LBS to have you on their minds when it does. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice, I have been trying with my local shop but so far nothing, I will just have to try harder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts