Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any recommendations for a 40#+ bike?
Was eyeballing Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand at Performance for $160.
Park PRS15 looks badazz but thats a lot of $ for a bike clamp...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought that spin dr. stand. It works really well and holds the bike real steady. I have put my 55 lb bike on it and it held just fine. The only thing is the clamp can be a bit of a hassle with a bike that weighs that much. But it works really well for the price. If I had the chance I would definitely buy it again. Performance has 10% with code 438. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Make one?

I don't know what kind of resources you have available to you, but you could build your own. I had some scraps of metal and some red oak lying around and built a stand that's fully adjustable and can support, I would guess, in excess of 100 pounds easily. A little time and effort was cheaper then the money I would have spent. Again, would depend on your resources.

M

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a DIY'in' fool... but when you can have the Park PCS-9 for around $82 (picked mine up from Universal), you might as well save time and money and just get to work on that bike! It's quality surprised me as it handles my 42LB'er with relative ease.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I use an Ultimate Pro-Ultralight and it works well for my DH bike. I definitely prefer it to the Park stuff that I've seen, although I'd consider one of their beefier models if I were doing primarily work on DH bikes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That's $82 I can spend on bike parts now though :D

And I love building things. It was my first time actually welding something other then just fooling around (I'm 20) and I think it looks fairly decent for a first attempt although not as clean cut as a store bought rack.

Here are some pictures if you want to take a gander. :thumbsup:

And no the WD-40 is not for the bike, I just keep it with some of the other tools. Apartment doors get mighty squeaky when summer comes around and the doors swell.

Attachments

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Munin2889 said:
That's $82 I can spend on bike parts now though :D

And I love building things. It was my first time actually welding something other then just fooling around (I'm 20) and I think it looks fairly decent for a first attempt although not as clean cut as a store bought rack.

Here are some pictures if you want to take a gander. :thumbsup:

And no the WD-40 is not for the bike, I just keep it with some of the other tools. Apartment doors get mighty squeaky when summer comes around and the doors swell.
How do you hang the bike??? Looks like the hole is too big for a seatpost. Do you have to take off the outer block and then screw it back on while holding up the bike?

there are some other variants of homemade stands in other threads, some with a cool vise-grip approach for easily hanging the bike.

other than that -- very cool.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah I hang it by the seat post. You could hang the bike from the top tube or down tube, or anywhere for that matter, I made the jaws so that they were able to open up quite a bit to accomodate different sizes. But I usually hang it by the seat post. You can either take the seat post out of the bike and clamp it down then bring the bike up and insert the seat post and clamp the quick release back down. Or take the block off the end of the threaded rods and put the bike up and then put the block back up. Or the easiest way, especially for a heavier bike is to take the entire thing off of the metal back plate. I made it so that there are wing nuts on the other side too so you could take the assembly off the plate, wrap it around the bike while it was still on the ground and clamp it on. Then all you have to do is stick the rods through the hole on the metal plate and it supports itself. Tighten down the wingnuts on the back and you are good to go. I think it might be a little easier then other stands just because you can take the whole grabbing mechanism down. That avoids trying to hang up the bike with one hand while maneuvering a lever or screw with the other. Using the last method you can put the bike up with two hands if you needed to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Munin thas a slick setup indeed! If I had the time I'd like to do something like that. I have TIG and MIG here and piles of material. My little free time I have I like to spend suffering on my bike:D

Thx for all the suggestions and pics - MTBR delivers!
-shano

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
shanoS said:
I have an old Park PCS-1 stand and it gets the job done. Only issue is that if you swivel the weight to either side with a 40 pound rig then the feet become unstable, but as long as you keep it centered then it works fine. The clamp and pivots have held up fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shanoS said:
Was eyeballing Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand at Performance for $160.
Park PRS15 looks badazz but thats a lot of $ for a bike clamp...
so after much contemplation I ended up going w/ the Spin Dr Pro G3 after all. Super stable for my 43#'er. Only minor gripe was the vise requires you tighten it down (threaded) rather than the nice cam clamp ala ParkTool. Flip side is that you dont have the ability to easily crush tubing.
The parts tray is useless as it is oriented sideways if you're clamping the bike by the seatpost. It was under $150 out the door at Performance (Midway shop, SanDiego)
4.9 Chilis!

-shano

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.