Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99% of my rides are sans Camelbak. I'm considering using one this weekend, but not sure how much to fill it. Since the race pretty much starts with a climb, weight is a huge issue. So, I'm debating filling it up between 64 and 79 ounces. Does that seem logical? Also, should I use tap water, or bottled water?

Also, my Camelbak has a couple pockets, one at the top and one at the bottom. Which one is best to carry my multitool?

·
Carbon or Commie?
227 Posts
If you didn't train with it, is it wise to race with it?

I use tap water in my hydration packs. No difference unless your tap water sucks.

I keep the multi tool in the underseat bag, whether or not I have a pack. Last thing i want is to go down and lose all my water through a t25 shaped hole in the bladder.

As far as how much to fill it... How much water do you normally drink on rides as long and tough as the course you're racing? Fill it up that much.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Go with 69.8 OZ, that should be optimum and definitely use bottled water. Tap water is way heavier with all the mineral content. Multitool goes on your helmet..duck tape it up top and that keeps the weight off your back allowing you a more stable platform. I'm going to share a real insider tip, reverse your Camelback and make it a Camelchest...don't even ask, just do it. Good Luck!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
if you search on WeightWeenies.org, you will clearly see the extra weight that the high percentage of dissolved solids in you tap water adds to your pack. There is a great video of a roadie comparing the weight from his shaved leg hairs to the TDS meter output in a glass of tap water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Low weight Thirstbuster: Seltzer water carbonated with helium. And pressurize your camelback bladder to ~1900 psi so it's a gas instead of a liquid. Just be careful the first time you hit that bite valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts