Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 10 months of waiting and a month of catching up on bills i got it ...my new bike

a jamis dakota xc :D

OH MY GOD IT IS SOOOOO SWEET .... :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!

my buddy had his roadie stolen at UNM and needed a new bike so he offered me some cash for it and it just happened to be enough for me to finish the payments on this earlyer than expected and get a pair of PI 3-d's to replace the Louie Garneau's that self destructed within 3 months of buying them :rolleyes: of course i gave him a discount for the circumstances ...life sucks without a bike ....( mtbr should do comercials with that as the slogan :p )
i was unsure about the mavic crosslands at first but they held up to a good beating ...as did i since i haven't been on a mountain bike in two years ... :p and the xt is just SWEET as are the avids mech's ...
just got back from breaking it in in the foothills of the sandias in Albuquerque, NM
land of enchantment my ass ...how about land of scary rock gardens ... :p

wish i had a digi cam that was easey to take with so i could have taken pics but that will have to wait for now
and now remember why i love mountain biking sooo much now ...it gets me away from people and gets me closer to the glorious landscape that NM has to offer :) :p

Heeeheeee

i am sooooo happy

but i will miss having a road bike ....oh well ....

i will forget that soon and be lost in more trail riding ...

any way ...breaking in is not done so

BYE !!!!!

:D

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Thats a badass bike. I ride with a guy who has one and i love it. Have fun on that beast!

-TS

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'm gettin' all emotional

That picture of the foothills in winter just bummed me out. Summer can't last forever.

Congrats on the bike laotsu. Very nice.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
3 of 5 were taken in winter!

relax. soon you'll be riding with the coyotes in the dark again.

I was just talking to one of the guys about winter riding here. they say the rode up to january. then it got so cold that "no one they knew left the house".

fun!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice pics i think that i rode a couple of those places on todays ride ...

i am going to start making a weekly ritual of ridding up there .... :D
because it sucks ridding on the bosque trails ...no maintenance and if it is wide enough for horses it has at least 300 ft of sand from their hooves and completly impossible to ride on ...
although open space is looking for volenteer patrol people ...and if i can get people to join me we could get some good trails cleared up but first i need to ride ... :D :D :D :D

thanks for the compliments all

and good luck with winter brianc ...i'll try to post pics to help ease the cabin fever later in winter ...

i lived in chicago for a year and a half i remember how winter can get ...

i still laugh when some one tries to talk me into a ride home here ..." it's SOOOO cold out there are you SURE you don't want a ride home ?" but it' s not even freezing

i was shut in for four days in chicago when it got down to -30 below with a wind chill of -40
i haven't encountered weather in this town that would make me not ride to work ...or ride ... :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
steel hardtails are where it's at.

I'll take this over any xc f.s. bike anytime.

ryan s.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Padre said:
Until your back starts cramping and tightening, then it SUCKS.
personally, I haven't had any problems with back soreness with a steel hardtail, especially if it's custom. it's been my experience that most back problems come from poor fit/bike setup.

ryan s.

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
backs

ryancycle said:
personally, I haven't had any problems with back soreness with a steel hardtail, especially if it's custom. it's been my experience that most back problems come from poor fit/bike setup.

ryan s.
And big bellies. I have one; I know.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Sometimes you have to WANT to ride...

brianc said:

I was just talking to one of the guys about winter riding here. they say the rode up to january. then it got so cold that "no one they knew left the house".

fun!
Last winter we rode Vietnam, my car said it was -5 deg F when we got to the ride. +5 deg when we got back. Ouch. Things on the bike stop working correctly at that temp, but it really wasn't that bad once you got moving (as long as you didn't get moving too fast).

John

·
415 Posts
brianc said:

fun!
WIMPS ! (just kidding) Actually it's not bad once you get moving. Also cold dry air usually leads to excellent snow riding conditions.

I had a few sub-zero mountain bike rides and a whole bunch of sub-zero commutes last year. If it's sunny and there's no wind it can be downright pleasant. Just have to be careful to protect the extremeties and keep your feet dry.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
They ain't all coyotes!!

Yeah said:
Ran into a 3 pack of young bobcats at the north Foothills at dusk a while back. Saw the mother in the dry wash next to the Montgomery p-lot a few weeks later.

I suggest you don't try to scratch them behind the ears or rub their bellies.

Lao - nice bike, looks like you will have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
brianc said:
Too bad I moved away, we never got a chance to ride together. Boy i do miss the foothills. Here's a project for you....

Go find these places.
Brian, this picture ranks among my all-time favorites that you've taken, and you've had a LOT of incredible shots! What was the deal, time lapse/multiple exposure?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
thanks glen

the deal:

single exposure. something long like 15 sec. iso = 100 or 200 camera set on a rock.

used the ambient light and the light of andy's bike. then I had a second camera that I used as a slave flash and fired it off help high above my head towards andy.

I made andy ride this 2 maybe tree times to get the shot.

And it was cold (~18-20F).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts