Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
Does the wool-mafia wear wool boxers/briefs too?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,313 Posts
So much stuff in this thread that is 100% inconsistent with my experience.

Merino wool blend socks not being breathable and causing a brine bath?

The Costco merino blend socks falling apart?

Maybe the CDN ones are different. I have worn mine for 2 years now. Washed countless times. Commuted in. Hiked in. Partied in. Hell, I even wore them yesterday with a suit because I forgot dress socks. Fan-fkn-tactic. 100% breathable. And zero stink factor. None. They are truly magical.

My Darn Tough socks are nice. But they better be. One pair cost as much as 12 pair of the Costco socks.

Costco Paradigm merino wool blend base layers...

$12 each for top and bottoms. Washed countless times. Commuted in daily. Good as new. They have held up just fine, are super breathable, smooth as silk on the skin and don’t stink either.

Once again, all I can conclude here is that either we are all different and like different things, or maybe I have yet to hit the peak in my quest for the best. I am always open minded and will definitely try other products so I will watch for anything further here in terms of suggestions.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So much stuff in this thread that is 100% inconsistent with my experience.

Merino wool blend socks not being breathable and causing a brine bath?

The Costco merino blend socks falling apart?

Maybe the CDN ones are different. I have worn mine for 2 years now. Washed countless times. Commuted in. Hiked in. Partied in. Hell, I even wore them yesterday with a suit because I forgot dress socks. Fan-fkn-tactic. 100% breathable. And zero stink factor. None. They are truly magical.

My Darn Tough socks are nice. But they better be. One pair cost as much as 12 pair of the Costco socks.

Costco Paradigm merino wool blend base layers...

$12 each for top and bottoms. Washed countless times. Commuted in daily. Good as new. They have held up just fine, are super breathable, smooth as silk on the skin and don’t stink either.

Once again, all I can conclude here is that either we are all different and like different things, or maybe I have yet to hit the peak in my quest for the best. I am always open minded and will definitely try other products so I will watch for anything further here in terms of suggestions.
I don’t usually reply to nonsensical posts that use bits and pieces of what everyone says in a disjointed way, but Maybe you should re-read my post, in fact all these posts. I am the OP here, and I am a big believer in wool socks. You didn’t even realize that the guy that posted about the brine bath was the OP. It is indeed a fact that if you wear thick wool socks on too warm of a day, your feet will get too warm. Give it a try next summer, put on your thickest wool socks for a full day, and let’s know if your feet got too warm. Just like wearing a down jacket on a warm day. You get too warm. That’s why I wear thin wool socks when it’s warm out. For me, they breathe very well and are not too warm. As a loyal member of the wool mafia, I can also attest that if you wear wool long Johns under a dry suit while paddling a 39 degree glacier fed river, you’ll be a lot warmer that wearing fleece under there. I don’t know what grudge people have against sheep and their contribution to society! I’m going on Amazon now to find some wool boxers.

·
방랑외국인
424 Posts
The Japanese were the originals...

Bunka-Fashion-College-Geta-2013-11-03-DSC9557-600x400.jpg

And the 90's Seattle Hipsters just copied it from Ze Germans ala Birkenstock...

47639257_403.png

·
Registered
764 Posts
https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/best-socks-1099303.html

See post #22.

The Costco merino blend socks are the total ****. I even wore them a lot through the summer. They NEVER stink, even with multi-day use.

Cannot say enough good about them, and as I said in post #22 in the thread I linked, I have lots of Darn Tough socks too. I almost always reach for the inexpensive Costco socks.
Ha i was the poster quoted in post 22, so I'll flip the dynamic now and endorse mtnbkrmike's take. I love my Costco merino socks. I have some of all the major brands but wear them the most. They don't have the elastic sections that Smortwool (and some Darn Tough) have, but I don't feel like it's necessary for 95% of uses. I wore a pair to trail run this morning and am wearing a pair at the office under dressier shoes right now. Anything but super formal I reach for them.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I used to swear by Chrome's dark gray Marino wool sock but then they started wearing out in just a few months. I now sear by FITS. I've had great luck with their variety of styles and durability.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like IceBreaker ultralight socks. 55% merino, 43% nylon, 2% lycra. The tops are so thin you can see your skin through them, so it's no surprise they wear through after about a year, but IceBreaker has a lifetime guarantee on their socks. I just never remember to bring my worn out ones when I drop by their store in the city. I also really like their Quantum zippered jacket/hoodie.

I also got a bunch of the Massdrop Fitsok wool socks. They're much heavier, but holding up pretty well, and a lot cheaper than the IceBreaker. 58% Merino, 40% nylon, 2% Lycra.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
To each his own I suppose.

I don't own a pair of cotton socks.

Best wools I got were a long time ago at Wally World when they accidentally got a high quality item stocked. Bought a pair for like $6 and couldn't believe they were so good, I went back and cleaned them out. It was like 15 years ago. Right now I've got a pair on and they are still going strong.

Wool/nylon blends are good for durability and retaining stretch. The big heavy rag wool type, from places like Fox River are good for warmth and soaking up sweat.

My favorite is a regular weight wool sock with a rag wool sock over it. Kind of overkill but I love it. Got that on right now. Its what I wear outside with a pair of oversized Bean Maine Hunting boot.

Its the ultimate back country, foul weather, flat pedal set up. :)

Currently unlaced for a bit of venting while on break...

42B93DA3-FB6D-465F-B338-E1836425E59D_1_201_a.jpeg

21 - 31 of 31 Posts