Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am (was) a big believer in Smartwool brand merino wool socks. Got a whole drawer full of them. I am talking about the everyday wear ones here, not riding socks. Backcountry just emailed me that they are having a sale on socks, so I decided to try and get some replacements. Reading the fine print, I see that the Smartwool brand socks are a wool blend now, 40 or so percent nylon. That defeats the purpose of having wool socks. Just not as warm. Does anyone know of any brand of socks that is mostly wool, with a little nylon for strength?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Check out Darn Tough and Cloudline, been wearing wool sock everyday for years, I like the ultra light weight for everyday wearing,I think they're around 60% Merino wool.

D

·
0 Posts
I am (was) a big believer in Smartwool brand merino wool socks. Got a whole drawer full of them. I am talking about the everyday wear ones here, not riding socks. Backcountry just emailed me that they are having a sale on socks, so I decided to try and get some replacements. Reading the fine print, I see that the Smartwool brand socks are a wool blend now, 40 or so percent nylon. That defeats the purpose of having wool socks. Just not as warm. Does anyone know of any brand of socks that is mostly wool, with a little nylon for strength?
Smart wool socks ain’t what they used to be. I have three pairs that are 17 years old; they don’t have as much elastic and stuff...they breathe better than the new ones too. I wish they still made them like the good ol days.
I have two pair of darn tough socks...they’re still fairly new. They’re kind of warm too.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,313 Posts
https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/best-socks-1099303.html

See post #22.

The Costco merino blend socks are the total ****. I even wore them a lot through the summer. They NEVER stink, even with multi-day use.

Cannot say enough good about them, and as I said in post #22 in the thread I linked, I have lots of Darn Tough socks too. I almost always reach for the inexpensive Costco socks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Maybe I’m weird to say this but I absolutely cannot stand wool socks of any kind unless it’s extremely cold out. When I wear them, my feet begin sweating on contact, and feel clammy all day. Cotton for me.

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe I’m weird to say this but I absolutely cannot stand wool socks of any kind unless it’s extremely cold out. When I wear them, my feet begin sweating on contact, and feel clammy all day. Cotton for me.
I agree with you, cotton breathes better.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,313 Posts
Yet another example of where everyone is different. Cotton is the devil's cloth for me. Including for socks. My cotton socks reek after a day of use. And God help me if they get wet.

I am a late adopter of merino, but I am in big time now. All my favourite stuff is merino wool, including socks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
This is true, wool does not breathe or dry-out like synthetic does. Unless you are actually trying to fight cold feet, I can't imagine this being a good idea. Maybe silk socks? I have a few pairs that I use for padding when I wear an ankle brace. Those probably have all the magical "you should pay more for these" features that people are looking for.

·
방랑외국인
424 Posts
I've had loads of Icebreaker and Smartwool gear, and the biggest issue with merino has always been durability.
They've integrated nylon in lots of gear to increase the durability, and it seemed to have helped. I haven't noticed much change in warmth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wha....?

I’ll just admit all our bodies and feet behave differently.

That said, I’d recommend Alpacca Wool socks for winter warmth and Darn Tough socks for daily wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,539 Posts

I'm the opposite, nothing but wool for me even in 100° temps. The thin ones are as cool as anything else ime.

I like the smartwool 60/40 blends a lot, perfect amount of stretch & wool goodness for me. Darn tough are great too and have a lifetime guarantee.

D

·
0 Posts
Wha....?

I’ll just admit all our bodies and feet behave differently.

That said, I’d recommend Alpacca Wool socks for winter warmth and Darn Tough socks for daily wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You are correct...all of our bodies are different. My GF is just the opposite of me; she is cold all the time, while I’m warm most of the time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you wear thicker wool socks when it’s too warm, your feet will sweat and take a brine bath. Since wool warms you even when wet, you’ll keep sweating even after your feet are wet, which is an unpleasant feeling. Cotton absorbs your sweat, stays wet, and does nothing to keep your feet warm when wet. Not to mention that wet socks can cause blisters. Feels great when dry though, and on a warmer day they won’t overheat your feet. I think I just have feet that sweat more than the average Jill/Joe! I have found that those thin wool socks made for riding/running breathe pretty well and stay dry. But it doesnt get too warm where I live, 80 is considered a really hot day. If I’m not wearing Chacos, I’m wearing some type of wool socks. Back in the day, on my life long quest to keep my feet warm and dry, someone thought those horrible ragg wool socks would be a good thing. They were so itchy, you had to buy sock liners to wear under them, and they would itch you through the liners. Guess Ill have to try the 60/40 wool blend, doesn’t look like I have too much other choice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Am I the only person who finds Merino socks + Sandals the almost perfect life solution for everyday wear in mild climates?

My wife thinks I'm a dork, but damn if my feet arnt happy!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
EDR
10,037 Posts
I've got 6 or so pair of DT socks in several thicknesses/padding, one pair is the Ultralight Vertex Coolmax (cushion)version. It's my favorite for hot Phx weather but it's the only pair of my DT that is not a wool blend. It's not nearly as stink-proof but is super cozy and breathable. That being said I like DT wool blend socks a lot, wear them almost every day. I have a 6 pack of the Costco wool socks and they are fine but after limited use over a year two pair are developing highly worn spots that will be holes not long from now. The fit doesn't compare for me compared to DT either, but they are cheap, and wool-ish.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts