Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What socks are best for a long 8 to 9 hour epic ride? There could be stream crossings as well.
 

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
That's pretty darn personal. This winter I've been wool only, varying between the lightweight and ultralight mini crew Smartwool stuff. In summer I use either the ultralight smartwools or another non cotton sock (dunno the brand). I don't do the really thin air-e-tors anymore on long rides though. Doesn't work for me.
 

·
Category Winner
Joined
·
6,079 Posts
Big fan of coolmax here. I have been really happy with the new Levitator sock from De Feet. It really hugs your foot in a supportive way, and look at the seam at the toe. Oh, that's right. There is no seam on your toes rubbing them raw. Nice.


(light colored sock shown so you can see the lack of toe seam)

If it's cold, Woolie Boolie all the way.
 

·
Cycling, FTW!!
Joined
·
478 Posts
Smartwool!!!

Im not suggesting smartwool because they are my hometown clothing company and my girlfriend works there. I swear by smartwool products because they make such a high quality product, and have such a large variety of long underwear and socks to pick from.

90% of the time on my summer rides I use Cycling Lt Mini Crews, or if its really warm out I use the Cycling UltraLt Mini Crews.

For Enduro races, night rides, or adventure rides when I expect to be doing some hike-a-biking, I like to use Cycling Lt 3/4 Crews, or even the Adrenaline Lt 3/4 crew. They keep the dirt and gravel out of your socks and they keep your feet warm when your shoes are filled with water, or sweat.


Check out http://www.smartwool.com of course.
 

·
In my mind, I can do it!
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ionsmuse said:
Weather? Temps?
could be cold or could be nice. My normal riding temps are around the 50's and 60's in the winter and the 90's and 100's in the summer.
 

·
In my mind, I can do it!
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would classify my feet normally as warm and when I ride or exercise I sweat. My socks will be wet with sweat. So I wouldn't need anything that keeps me super warm. But I do need something that will help keep my feet dry and comfortable. A sock with no seam over the toes is a big plus so the Defeat may be the way to go....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I've got to disagree with the woolies. Go cool max/synthetic.

I threw down three years ago for seven pairs smartwool socks to use for riding and running and have two single socks left, both of which we use to buff/polish silver. The elastic becomes brittle and wears out within a year so they bunch up and hang around your ankles, and they wore through at the big toe by the end of the season.

The synthetic socks I've bought - Thorlo, DeFeet, and some other brand, have lasted, on average, twice as long.
 

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
augistiner said:
I've got to disagree with the woolies. Go cool max/synthetic.

I threw down three years ago for seven pairs smartwool socks to use for riding and running and have two single socks left, both of which we use to buff/polish silver. The elastic becomes brittle and wears out within a year so they bunch up and hang around your ankles, and they wore through at the big toe by the end of the season.

The synthetic socks I've bought - Thorlo, DeFeet, and some other brand, have lasted, on average, twice as long.
To me wear doesn't really matter within reason. If I need a couple pairs of new socks a season that's fine. As long as my feet are happy that's what I care about. The wool socks keep my feet temperature regulated much better and are not as uncomfortable wet.

But like I said in the first reply here, there is no right answer because everyone is going to like something a little different.
 

·
Homey the Clown
Joined
·
185 Posts
I get at least two years out of mine, but then I never, ever put them in the dryer, I don't care what the label says.

augistiner said:
I've got to disagree with the woolies. Go cool max/synthetic.

I threw down three years ago for seven pairs smartwool socks to use for riding and running and have two single socks left, both of which we use to buff/polish silver. The elastic becomes brittle and wears out within a year so they bunch up and hang around your ankles, and they wore through at the big toe by the end of the season.

The synthetic socks I've bought - Thorlo, DeFeet, and some other brand, have lasted, on average, twice as long.
 

·
Rusting Steel
Joined
·
117 Posts
WickWear Sports Socks

They are magic socks. The Yazoo Team wears their wool socks and they are the best sock I've ever worn. Bought all in the family pairs for x-mas as well. They are that good. Better than my defeets and smartwools. They also have synthetic and green (made from corn) socks as well. Socks hug your arches, no toe seem rub, no heel slip, and the wools seem to dry out instantly after streams.

I believe their is a 5 star review coming out in one of the bike mags in February.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Wick Wear

Yup. They are the best. I was a Smartwool freak for years until I got them on my little peds. As far as I'm concerned, they make Smartwool, Defeet, and everything else feel like sandpaper. I work on my feet all day and they make old shoes feel good. Even better in cycling shoes. Get 'em now before they are back ordered. wickwearsports.com
 

·
.......................
Joined
·
3,049 Posts
The arsenal

I like both Smartwools and thin synthetic socks, sometimes in combination.

My feet don't sweat too much, so that's not an issue. I wear Smartwools when its moderate, and thinner synthetics (Defeet, etc) when its hot. When really cold, I'll wear both, and perhaps switch out the synthetic liner halfway through the day. I'm also a big fan of knee-high wool ski-type socks when it's cold. Gotta have a quiver. And yes, any sock will wear out in a year or so if it's really getting used.

I've even used neo socks inside cycling shoes for cold and really sloppy conditions.

My favs overall have become the Smartwools that are decently thick on the soles, and very thin on the top.
 

·
In my mind, I can do it!
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Johnny5 said:
WickWear Sports Socks

They are magic socks. The Yazoo Team wears their wool socks and they are the best sock I've ever worn. Bought all in the family pairs for x-mas as well. They are that good. Better than my defeets and smartwools. They also have synthetic and green (made from corn) socks as well. Socks hug your arches, no toe seem rub, no heel slip, and the wools seem to dry out instantly after streams.

I believe their is a 5 star review coming out in one of the bike mags in February.
Cool. I'll give those a try. Their website is under construction and I don't see any prices listed. Are they available online only?
 

·
In my mind, I can do it!
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan Hensley said:
Yup. They are the best. I was a Smartwool freak for years until I got them on my little peds. As far as I'm concerned, they make Smartwool, Defeet, and everything else feel like sandpaper. I work on my feet all day and they make old shoes feel good. Even better in cycling shoes. Get 'em now before they are back ordered. wickwearsports.com
SwiftWick or NaturWool?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top