Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some nice Woodman carbon seatposts.
so far just the 31,6 size

31,6/350mm: 132g
31,6/400mm: 141g

so shortening them by 10mm saves ca. 2g

I had the same seatpost labeled with Token on my previous Winterbike
27,2/320mm: 116g

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dinoadventures said:
Fantastic weight. How well does the clamp treat seat rails?
The clamp is the same style as many others: KCNC, New Ultimate, etcetc...i never had any trouble with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's light and lenght 350mm suits perfect for my bike.
I just need little more confidence with that clamp, before I can put it to my bike.

Logo is ugly as hell! Luckily colors are same than in my bike. Is that logo below clearcoat?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FasterThanLight said:
It's light and lenght 350mm suits perfect for my bike.
I just need little more confidence with that clamp, before I can put it to my bike.

Logo is ugly as hell! Luckily colors are same than in my bike. Is that logo below clearcoat?
yes - the logo is under clearcoat.But as you can see above i also got rid of the ugly red+white Token logo on my bike. all you need is some emery cloth and a spray can with laquer to finish the job. it's done in 10 minues.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't want to say anything negative about a product that I personally have not tried, but this looks just like the M2racer seatpost I had. (it weighed about 90 or 100 grams for a roadie length).

It kept slipping down and when I tried to tighten it, it crushed at the clamp area... this was on my ROAD BIKE. Knowing what I know now, I would NOT skimp on a seatpost for a MT bike!... and I'm a weight weenie!

BE CAREFUL ON WEIGHT SAVINGS HERE...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bs!!

CactusJackSlade said:
I don't want to say anything negative about a product that I personally have not tried, but this looks just like the M2racer seatpost I had. (it weighed about 90 or 100 grams for a roadie length).

It kept slipping down and when I tried to tighten it, it crushed at the clamp area... this was on my ROAD BIKE. Knowing what I know now, I would NOT skimp on a seatpost for a MT bike!... and I'm a weight weenie!

BE CAREFUL ON WEIGHT SAVINGS HERE...
It seems the M2Racer was simply too thin and weak.This has nothing in common with the seatposts here.

And i also assume you didn't use any carbon-mounting paste which is mandatory for such ultralight carbon seatposts anyway. Those pastes allow MUCH lower torque on clamping bolts without having the setposts slipping.

With these Woodmans we are looking at a tube which weighs about 50% more...this added weight is hidden in a fatter diameter tube whch is far more resistant. You can get the Woodmans at 400mm lengt and ready for MTB use !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another Woodman- Post EL @132g - What you think?

Here is another post by Woodman- Alu but pretty scary light.
Not that I would not like to save 100g over my Thomson...

Considering the Thomson in the same size is about 210g makes me wonder if post this light can be trusted to last.
Personally I think not. I have even seen circular indentation into Thomson post from too much clamping power. It did not seem to affect the post though (or bend).

But with this post (Woodman at 132g) I would be affraid of both- indentation and tube being prone to bending...

Any experience with these posts or opinions....

Ebay Item: 200295786578

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOOdman-POST-EL...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Great post, but I really wish they go with a different clamp style. That style way sucks and slips and bends rails. I love my KCNC post, but I've slipped rails endless, bend my Ti rails, and then finally broke some Ti rails on my SLR saddle. :(
They need a bottom carrier like Thomson, and the rest of the post design would be really solid.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If you have Thomson post, you always can use bottom carrier from it ;) Too bad Thomson doesn't sell spares like KCNC does.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
rensho said:
Great post, but I really wish they go with a different clamp style. That style way sucks and slips and bends rails. I love my KCNC post, but I've slipped rails endless, bend my Ti rails, and then finally broke some Ti rails on my SLR saddle. :(
They need a bottom carrier like Thomson, and the rest of the post design would be really solid.
I could not agree more.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Nice find, and it's reasonably cheap too: $13 for upper and lower craddle.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
clamping style...

sorry guys - but almost all lightweight setpostst have this style of clamping. it is pretty much standard these days and the only problem is overthightening the bolts. if you keep the torque reasonable there is no problem at all.

Schmolke
AX-Lightness
Heylight
New Ultimate

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weight limit: 110 Kilos / 242 lbs !!

I just got confirmation that the riders weight limit is a huge 110 Kilos / 242 lbs!

I was asking Woodman direct and i'm really impressed by this. They say they passed easily the standard EN Test which requires 100'000 cycles at 110 kilos weight. Their own standard though is much higher at 400'000 cycles which they successfully did - wow!

I remain a bit sceptical as 110 Kilos is a static weight while a rider bouncing onto the saddle can easily bring more than his own weight....i will further investigate on this topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice pic! I'm more worried abot rails of saddle.
That's why I'm asking about Thompson "lower clamp" or bottom carrier, what ever.

Bye the way, can you get size 27,2? I need one for my roadbike.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Weight limit...

ok - i just got some answers from Woodman:
I was asking:
I still have a question about the rider weight limit:110 kilo is a static weight.

" Actually not static, but dynamic as you can see this weight it apply and removed periodically in order to reach the 100,000 cycles of the EN standard.
But a 110 kilo rider bouncing on the seat will easily be heavier than 110 Kilos.
- agree, this would bring us to the maximum weight that would make the seatpost break. we never tested that and no standard ever consider this data for it has actually little use but mostly very difficult to value. what would be the impact force needed for a 60 KG rider to reach this weight? How do you make sure it is never reached? How do you know when is it reached?

The EN test I sent you is the one that any seatpost should pass (100,000 cycle) to be sold within the EU. As far as I know nobody ever really wonder the weight limit on a cheap seatpost, that supposedly passed the same test. Now of course all this is based on "proper use" and a dirt jumper that would land on a Carbo EL would probably break it, but so would he break most seatpost on the market. the question is would he break a Carbo EL easier? well, probably not. Carbo EL rate the same than a SL seat post at about 3 to 4 time the EN standard before breaking. by the way 400,000 cycle is like jumping up and down the saddle during a week 24 hours a days without stopping, quite a ride!"

So what is the REAL rider weight limit on these seatposts? 110 kilo seems very high.

"100KG for a rider is no problem, 70KG for a jumper might be a problem, as i said it is all about proper use. now the Carbo EL has a better fatigue resistance so it the one I would recommend to a heavier rider."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts