Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all: I'm trying to decide which Salsa bar to put on my Vaya - Woodchipper or Bell Lap. The bike will be used about 60% on pavement, 40% dirt/gravel roads and maybe the occasional trail.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Top to bottom: 46cm woodchippers, WTB mountain road dirt drops, Salsa Bell Lap

Left to right: bell lap, wtb, woodchippers

I took these pics last week before installing the woodchippers on my Cross Check. I haven't had it out on the road yet but I'm pretty sure I'll love them. Most people do. I didn't care for the bell laps, I couldn't get comfortable in the drops when I had the hoods adjusted how I like. Nice, strong and light bar though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Schmucker said:
If you're short enough to get the bars up high enough the Woodchipper is decent. If you plan on riding on the hoods a bit, go with the Bell Lap.
Is this the consensus? Are the hoods relatively useless with the Woodchipper? I have SRAM Apex shifters for this bike, and I was looking to use the hoods as they should be more comfortable than the Shimano road shifters I have had on my road bike.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had Bell Laps on a cross bike that served for a lot of long miles on the road, in addition to some hopping curbs / exploring with some light singletrack. The horizontal angle of the hoods was just enough of an angle to be comfy for my broad shoulders, the lateral rotation was great for spending a lot of time on the hoods. I'd say they're great if you want a more road-bike setup, with the hoods being slightly lower than your saddle to slightly higher. I think they'd be weird if you had them high enough to be in the drops all the time.

This is NO judgment on the Woodchippers in any way. Haven't used them.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
SAWS said:
Is this the consensus? Are the hoods relatively useless with the Woodchipper? I have SRAM Apex shifters for this bike, and I was looking to use the hoods as they should be more comfortable than the Shimano road shifters I have had on my road bike.
Woodchipper hoods are usable for a time for me. Far more comfortable than a Midge bar, but I wouldn't want to spend a really long time on them, plus they're up kinda high.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
schnee said:
I had Bell Laps on a cross bike that served for a lot of long miles on the road, in addition to some hopping curbs / exploring with some light singletrack. The horizontal angle of the hoods was just enough of an angle to be comfy for my broad shoulders, the lateral rotation was great for spending a lot of time on the hoods. I'd say they're great if you want a more road-bike setup, with the hoods being slightly lower than your saddle to slightly higher. I think they'd be weird if you had them high enough to be in the drops all the time.

This is NO judgment on the Woodchippers in any way. Haven't used them.
x2

I really like my bell laps. If I were building a Vaya, they would be my bar of choice. If I were building a Fargo, wood chipper.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As usual, helpful insight from from all - evenly split as to the right answer.;)

I think I'm going to try the Bell Laps first. I'll try the Woodchippers if I feel like I'm finding myself in enough offroad situations that the more road bike-like Bell Laps aren't working in.

Thanks for the input, everyone. My Vaya should be delivered to the LBS on the afternoon UPS run.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
SAWS said:
As usual, helpful insight from from all - evenly split as to the right answer.;)

I think I'm going to try the Bell Laps first. I'll try the Woodchippers if I feel like I'm finding myself in enough offroad situations that the more road bike-like Bell Laps aren't working in.

Thanks for the input, everyone. My Vaya should be delivered to the LBS on the afternoon UPS run.
I think you'll find stem angle more advantageous for off road riding than bars.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
SAWS said:
I use the hoods all the time effectively with my 46cm Woodchippers, both on my Vaya and my Fargo. The key is not angling the brake levers to the inside, as many riders do for some reason. Put the angle of the levers straight forward, or close to it, as you would a normal road bar. This levels the levers and makes them very usable.

-- Edit to add content.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mgersib said:
I use the hoods all the time effectively with my 46cm Woodchippers, both on my Vaya and my Fargo. The key is not angling the brake levers to the inside, as many riders do for some reason. Put the angle of the levers straight forward, or close to it, as you would a normal road bar. This levels the levers and makes them very usable.

-- Edit to add content.
And in that position you can still use the levers from the drops? It seems like it would put the lever too far inboard, making for a long reach - especially for shifting.

Edit - Oh, by the way, my frame arrived yesterday. It looks really great, and I was surprised by how light it is. LBS is starting to build it today.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
mgersib said:
Agreed 100%
All your pics you are in the drops, and your drops, with a huge stack'o spacers and already long headtube, are probably higher than my hoods. :)

I think your pics really illustrate the difference in riding style each bar entails. Woodchipper = Drops, Bell Lap = Hoods.

But you have to set your bike up to accommodate the intended usage.........in your case, a lot of spacers to get the Woodchippers high enough. I imagine you don't need all those spacers on a Fargo.

Just my observation. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
88 rex said:
Did you see where his left hand was placed. ;)
I almost edited my post to say he was still half in the drops while carrying the bike. :)

mgersib - just having some fun. I appreciate your insight and the pics of the Vaya in action.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.