Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
STINKY TOFU
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story so bear with me. I know its not a big deal for alot of people but to me it was the best feeling ever. I've only been riding a year and when I first got my bike I had major FR der problems. I bought a book, and read every article online I could find but I just couldnt figure it out. I also bought my wife a lo end Giant HT with intention of using it as a guinea pig to practice working on bikes (she just didnt know it). I bought some new 8 speed XT shifters and new XT brake levers to replace the combo deal that came on her bike. I know its not worth it for that lo end of a bike but I got a really good deal on ebay.

Anyways, I never got around to it just cause I didnt have confidence in not screwing up her bike after trying to tune my own bike with major disasters. So this year I paid performance bike to install some new X.0 shifters and DR on my bike (biggest mistake ever, but thats another story:madmax: ). They did such a horrible job that it shifted worse then the x5's that came on the bike. I was so pissed that I just hopped online again and found a video linked in one of the forums here. Fortunately I purchased a nice bike stand last month with the intention of working on my own bike, but that video was the best thing ever. Actually watching someone do the adjustments made all the difference in the world. After a few hours I got everything working perfect! I was so stoked that I wanted to try installing the new shifters on my wifes bike.

After 4 hours I got her new shifters and brake levers installed and running smooth as butter. I'm so amped! This is a first step for me, as next year I want to upgrade my frame and swap over some of my current parts, I'd really like to try it myself and save some money. I now just need to learn how to do cranks/cassette and forks. I've already done brake replacement and bleeding so thats good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dragonhead08 said:
I was so pissed that I just hopped online again and found a video linked in one of the forums here.
Congrats on taking the time to do it and figuring it out. It doesn't always work out for the best as I decided to change my cables last year and broke the rear shifter. Now I have to replace them. Shifting has always been the biggest weakness of my bike so it was time to upgrade anyway.

Do you have a link to that video? I'll need a reference like that as well. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.