Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. This is my first post on the boards. I just bought a Motobecane 700HT and am a complete beginner. I'm trying to find a good trunk rack to put on my '95 honda civic 4 dr. sedan. Any suggestions?

·
rider
2,356 Posts
OklaDan said:
Hey everyone. This is my first post on the boards. I just bought a Motobecane 700HT and am a complete beginner. I'm trying to find a good trunk rack to put on my '95 honda civic 4 dr. sedan. Any suggestions?
The funky Hollywood rack is actually a pretty good rack. I have one, and many of my buddys have them as well. They were all yard sale bought and IIRC the most anyone paid is about $5. Keep an eye on the straps for UV damage. They may not be super bomber looking racks but I have never seen one fail.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Saris or Thule

I've owned several over the years and had the best luck with a Thule (that finally died after 10+ years of use) and I now have a Saris Guardian that works very well and has nice anti-sway straps to keep your bike from swinging on the rack (and thus into another bike or your car). I also once owned a Rhode Gear and it was crap. Only lasted about a year and neither protected my bike and car very well.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I'm also looking at the Saris Bones bike rack. I'm not going to be going on any long trips as of yet, but when I do, I don't want to have to buy a new rack to secure my bike. I'm gonna stop by my LBS today and see what they have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OklaDan said:
Thanks for the info! I'm also looking at the Saris Bones bike rack. I'm not going to be going on any long trips as of yet, but when I do, I don't want to have to buy a new rack to secure my bike. I'm gonna stop by my LBS today and see what they have.
I had a Saris Bones rack when I had a Civic. It was a great rack as far as I'm concerned. And as far as trunk mount racks go, it's less likely to scratch paint than a lot of cheapo ones out there (just make sure the feet are on a clean surface).

Now while I didn't mind having that thing on my Civic, I wouldn't throw it on my S2000....:skep:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the Thule bed rack...the one that telescopes out...so no "permanant" install needed...it is lockable...so works well for me!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Another Bones vote

Very sturdy rack that's easy to use, and the huge feet disburse the weight of your load as well.

Bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Saris is a good rack but I decided to go with the Yakima Super Joe for my Honda Civic and I'm very happy with it. Strong,well designed, compact and folds up easily when not it use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.