Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Me ride.
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend found a whole bike thrown in a dumpster and brought it to show me. The fork, a Suntour XC-60, had a hole eaten through the metal next to the disc mounts. It reminds me of the acid/metal damage caused by the Alien.

What's odd is that there is no other damage to the front of the bike: not the bars, wheel, tire, or rest of the fork, that could have been caused by acid.

A real up-close look inside the hole shows some rust, but the metal around the hole has none. There is very slight bubbling under the paint which may indicate rust.

So, whaddya think the culprit is? :confused:

BTW, that fork was the only problem with the bike. After swapping it out with a working one, the bike rides like a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Given that budget forks tend to use aluminium lowers as opposed to the magnesium alloy most higher end forks use, I'd assume that something like sodium hydroxide, or something similar (like dot5 brake fluid, does that eat alloy?), got on the fork lower.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.