Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a FS women's bike for their son? My 10 year old son and wife are the same height (5') and I could kill two birds with one stone buy buying a FS bike for him and when he outgrows it then she can ride it.

I'm looking at the Specialized Myka FSR.

Any opinions???

·
Registered
3 Posts
if memory serves, the "female specific" model, ie. myka, is the same geometry as a "male" version in a size lower. So, a female L was exactly like a male M, but the myka had the prettier color scheme. We bought my wife a myka fsr a year or so ago, great bike, she loves it, but its pink and silver. So, if you son doesn't mind a "girl color" go with it, but I'd bet the male version would be a better fit...

·
Premium Member
7,599 Posts
clarkrw3 said:
I just picked up a xs Orbea hard tail woman specific for my son...should work great as he grows.
I was really eyballing one of those frames for my son. I just flinched at it costing me $1000 to build it up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
CDMC said:
I was really eyballing one of those frames for my son. I just flinched at it costing me $1000 to build it up.
It's true but the way I figure it I got a Mavic wheel set off of CompCyclist for $89 and then most of the other stuff I have sitting around or I can pull off my old hard tail and upgrade when and if he breaks stuff. Then he will have a nice and light 26" he can use for a while since he is 5 right now but a big 5 at 50"...we will see and I will post up as it comes together

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm not sure about the Myka line, but the Julianna version of the Superlight had a lighter weight spring/oil setup in the fork and smaller diameter bar/grips. It's all setup under the premise that women tend to be lighter w/smaller hands and a shorter reach than men of the same height.

I've seen and often thought of buying the Titec women specific bar/grips for my kid. IIRC, it's called a hellcat. It's 25.4 at the stem but has a uniform smaller diameter over a large section of the ends of the bar, so you should be able to cut it down pretty far to accomodate a kid and still use the smaller grips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.