Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A welsh woman on an I.C.E. recumbent fat trike was first person to cycle to south pole. 2 men were also trying at the same time. She started 2 days later but the men took the long way around and she took the short cut over the mountains to get there first. Due to the sun not setting for 6 months there, she rode 18 hr/day for ten days.

My computer skills aren't very good but you can find photos if you search Antarctica bicycle, or Inspired Cycle Engineering. Maybe someone else can get photos or links onto this thread.

·
1,711 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back and read a previous thread about this, and quite honestly I'm glad I missed it.
I think the "bike" is awesome.
I like like story.
She chose the bike she thought best for what she was attempting. Those of you who prefer 2 wheeled bikes might change your opinion pretty quickly in 60 mph side winds, or headwinds on pack ice. She would definitely be riding away from you. At 1 mph. Maybe she'd take a nap so you could catch up pushing your Pugsley ahead of you.
IMHO this is what progress looks like.
Watch videos of the 2013 Americas Cup race. 80' Catamarans Hydrofoiling at 50 mph under sail. Everybody pissed and moaned when they went to multihull, everybody pissed and moaned when they went to hydrofoils. It's unfair, it's unsafe, it's too expensive. It's too fast, it's too easy it's too hard, blah blah blah.

·
Fat & Single
4,154 Posts
She was on a bike.
Bike is short Bi-Cycle... bi = 2, bicycle has 2 wheels only.

Im not arguing, i think its an awesome achievement !

·
Registered
213 Posts
Completely hardcore - Anybody who goes to the South Pole via any form of transportation is hardcore in my book.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you consider this as a choice of human powered vehicle for loaded touring in barren areas she made a logical and creative choice. I don't see how 2 wheels are better if it makes the task at hand harder. Especially in life threatening conditions. Whether it's a bike or not becomes irrelevant at some point.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Incredible achievement as are all three of the cyclists that completed the trip to the Pole this season.
It is not a bicycle because bi means 2 however it is definitely a cycle. Or as the recumbent community prefers to use a Human Powered Vehicle (HPV) celebrating the human factor of the vehicle and opening the "vehicle" to much more innovation than the usual limits.
Seems like Maria chose a machine that worked well for the conditions and her goals.
I think a fat tired trike like that one would be cool to ride in snow and sand. Its not gong to work on most MTB trails though and lack of or minimal suspension and a recumbent seating position will make it a rough ride on any off road trails.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you consider this as a choice of human powered vehicle for loaded touring in barren areas she made a logical and creative choice. I don't see how 2 wheels are better if it makes the task at hand harder. Especially in life threatening conditions. Whether it's a bike or not becomes irrelevant at some point.
I don't think people are saying better or worse, they are saying DIFFERENT. Two wheels versus 3 wheels. Definitely a difference. If you are looking to do something and have it listed as a bike expedition, then you need to use a bike. If not, and nobody is saying to not do it differently, then it just gets listed under a different category.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts