Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 marin wolf ridge and i really want to turn it into a downhill bike. Can I put a dual crown suspension on this frame and coil on the rear? I'm just wondering if this frame is even strong enough to attempt the mod?

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
I hate to say this but the wolfridge might not cut it. First & foremost, the frame wasn't designed to handle a dual crown fork with a significantly tall axle to crown height. Slapping in a tall dual crown fork just isn't safe to guarantee from frame failure. Secondly, the geometry of the wolfridge wasn't designed for full on dh specs so the overall feel of the bike is just gonna be whacked. Lastly, the money that you would spend to convert it to a dh bike might equal or even exceed the cost of a good used dh bike specially if your gonna be purchasing new components.

A good dh fork alone is atleast $1K and the rear shock would be around $400. You'd also need to upgrade your wheelset which is around $250, Chainguide is around $100, brakes around $400. Might as well save your money and look for a good used dh bike that you think could get you by. Try searching at pinkbike, ridemonkey, craigslist, ebay etc. and you might find a deal!

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Or hit up Pedalshop

nickgto said:
A good dh fork alone is atleast $1K and the rear shock would be around $400. You'd also need to upgrade your wheelset which is around $250, Chainguide is around $100, brakes around $400. Might as well save your money and look for a good used dh bike that you think could get you by. Try searching at pinkbike, ridemonkey, craigslist, ebay etc. and you might find a deal!
and order a new quake for a small chunk of change.... Probably more that the OP wanted to spend but thought I'd interject since I just got mine from Pedalshop. And I know nickgto did too.

The wolf ridge in question is more XC/trail oriented and is a light weight frame.

REEK

·
Registered
784 Posts
Like what Reek mentioned, [email protected] has some new '06 Quake CL7's for $2K which is around the price of a used DH bike. I got my Quake for FR but I'm slowly discovering that it can match or even exceed my Shockwave on most DH oriented runs except for the gnarliest of gnars. It corners excellently and hits bumps as if it's got more than 6.8 inches of travel. I could hardly notice any brakejack but my Shockwave with the floater still rules on high speed braking over rough stuff. Shaums March won the '06 World Master's DH aboard the Quake with a 7 inch Fox 40, so that should more than justify it's capabilities as a good DH bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.