Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit. So I get a few moments away from work today to go mess around on a rock garden near my house for fun. Just got my Fox Float about 2 months ago, and enjoy runnning it into big things - it's a really nice fork. I get midway through the rocks, catch the front wheel wrong, and get thrown over sideways - WHACK! Upon damage inspection, I scratched the seatstay a little (no biggie), and put a big scratch in the fork stancion. DAM THE BAD LUCK.

What to do? Order new uppers? Sand them out? I noticed a fair bit more oil than normal on the fork leg as I limped home - so it's deep enough to be a problem.

I suppose my fork just got more expensive. ARGH. Thanks for letting me vent - I feel a little better.

·
carpe mañana
7,293 Posts
I've heard that you can fill in the groove with epoxy and then sand everything down with fine sandpaper. Your other option is to get the $160 upper assembly or get a used float and swap the uppers, which haven't changed in past X years and resell the used in a damaged status, should cost you less than $160. You can't use Vanilla uppers (color aside) as Float uppers are hard annodized on the inside to make them more durable. You can use Talas ones, but that's unlikely since who wants to mess with the Talas cartridge. Try the epoxy thing first.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=98171

What a bummer, man.

_MK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts