Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m in the process of repairing a rear wheel for a Schwinn Glenwood hybrid bike. The owner thought the wheel just needed some truing but after closer inspection the axle is actually the issue. I can see lots of play going on and the bearings are not packed tightly. I took the axle out from the drive side and noticed there was a crushed metal ring? I was going to repack the bearings and tighten the axle so everything is straight but not sure about the bent up metal piece?
2nd part, how can you tell how many bearings are needed for each side of the hub?
thanks for any help.
Tableware Dishware Food Automotive tire Fluid
Wheel Bicycle hub Bicycle tire Hub gear Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
No idea what that piece of metal is. Looks like the race self-destructed, and I can't tell if the race is still in the hub picture you posted. With things in that condition I doubt you'll be able to get it working well again but its worth a try. Make sure the cone isn't badly pitted. Typically bearing count is 9 per side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hub race seems okay, just needs to be cleaned out better. Since I can’t really find replacement dust covers as long as the axle and bearings are packed correctly it should be fine?
Other option to get a replacement hub and transfer the other parts from the wheel over and rebuild it?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
it's fine if packed and tightened correctly

just might need more maintenance if run in rain or dirt without that cover keeping most of the mung outta the grease

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.