Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, we printed the second edition of the WNC Trail Guide: South Pisgah Ranger District and have been slowly getting them out to stores.

A few things you may notice about the new map:

• We included elevation profiles for the described rides
  • It has a different cover photo. We loved Brado's pick on the first but the USFS didn't ... the person on the front cover of the first edition wasn't actually on a trail!
  • Included a UTM coordinates/grid
  • Expanded the trail ettiquette section and included a 'Yield to' graphic
  • Fixed some errors ...
  • A few other things I can't think of right now.

We want to thank everyone who has been using the map and especially those of you who helped us to find the mistakes that were in the 1st edition. We think we got the mistakes corrected but as we all know, things are constantly changing out there so we are excited for more feedback as people start using the new edition.

Pete

·
Registered
91 Posts
Uhm, I hate to show my ignorance but what "errors" are we referring to :eek:?

Just purchased the 1st edition 4 weeks ago and absolutely love it but have not yet poured over it for hours on end. I like to save that part for the long nights before a Pisgah ride or when the days are shorter and I can only think of when I'll be on the bike. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhm, I hate to show my ignorance but what "errors" are we referring to :eek:?

Just purchased the 1st edition 4 weeks ago and absolutely love it but have not yet poured over it for hours on end. I like to save that part for the long nights before a Pisgah ride or when the days are shorter and I can only think of when I'll be on the bike. Thanks for any insight.
Glad you like it. You can find a discussion of the map (including mistakes) from when we released the first edition back in April here: http://forums.mtbr.com/north-south-carolina/new-south-pisgah-map-701340.html.

Most of the errors are the typical things you might expect. We left off a couple trails - mostly hiking only trails except one section of Flat Laurel Creek. We also mixed up a few trail use designations - we have Perry Cove and Graveyard Ridge trail in Graveyard Fields as bike legal when they are not. Some of the errors have to do with the USFS database being out of date and some were typical mistakes that are made on any map. We also calculated the mileage incorrectly on the Daniels Ridge ride we described.

Check out the thread above and shoot me a message if you have any questions...

Pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the easiest way to ID the 1st edition from the second edition? I'm guessing it's listed somewhere but the ones I was looking at I was unable to find the edition.
There is a different cover photo on the 1st and 2nd editions. The 1st edition has someone riding on a granite slab and the second edition has someone riding on single track through the woods.

Also, it says 'Second Edition' on the front cover right above the pic and below where it says 'WNC Trail Guide'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.