Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's some talk of building a WNC pump track on the Blue Ridge Bike Club listserve and in the new SORBA chapter. I had not seen one of these until now and am blown away by how fun it looks, and how little construction and machinery is needed to build one.

What a great way to get kids involved in the sport, polish up your skills, build bike community, feel the flow.

Check it out here and be sure to watch the vid.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/better-homes-and-pump-tracks.html

Lets build one!

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Rays

I had a blast on the one at Ray's in Cleveland. Once I got in it I wouldn't want to stop. It was made entirely out of wood though, and it didn't have any airtime. I stare at my yard and wonder......

You can tell I am having a good time if my tongue is hanging out.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about your yard?

Singletrack Pig said:
There's some talk of building a WNC pump track on the Blue Ridge Bike Club listserve and in the new SORBA chapter. I had not seen one of these until now and am blown away by how fun it looks, and how little construction and machinery is needed to build one.

What a great way to get kids involved in the sport, polish up your skills, build bike community, feel the flow.

Check it out here and be sure to watch the vid.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/better-homes-and-pump-tracks.html

Lets build one!
I've seen your back yard and it looks like prime pump track real estate, and it doesn't look like your kid is getting that tree house anytime soon. I'll even loan you my shovel, but not my pickup truck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A Pool....

Hum... I wonder....either ride thru pools of water, jump them, or some where in between. Yeah, that should do it. You get the pump track, your wife gets not just 1 pool but, say two or three. That means she owes you. I like it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pump Track

Ok now I am presidential serious. If I am not mistaken the Free Ride grant is $500. It looks to me like a pump track could be really all labor. Yeah sure machines would make it easier but with 20 or so shovels, several weekends, and several post work pints, I think no money would have to be spent. Ok now with the half grand add in some wood features. Ladders, teeter totters, some realitivly low drops, or maybe some stairs some where near the track. $500 wont go far when it comes to treated wood. Of course if we could buy 2 pieces of wood for the price of 1 the "Lowes pump and practice track" woul be pretty good advertisement. If we can keep the lawyers away from the idea.

·
arbiter
138 Posts
Your mom goes to a pump track

Is pump track another phrase for dirt jumps?

Those pics look like rollers and berms...why not just add the missing element of the jump?

Now, I am not saying build a lip to the moon. Those frighten me too. Rather, how about building small, fun, un-intimidating jumps a little larger than the rollers?

Not only would we get the cross country contingent to help build, but some of the free-ride brohannons as well. If there was an unspoken rule about keeping the jumps small I don't think huck-tards will hijack the place and go nuts.

I'll gladly lend a shovel, good lookin' out man!

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
i have the real estate...

We have an empty lot here at Industry Nine HQ that already has been earmarked for such a project. Probably an acre and a half. We have cleared it, and there's several huge piles of fill dirt - all we need is a dry weekend and some hands! Contact me via [email protected] or we can get a thread going here to start planning a weekend build session.

lata-
Fred that used to own Pro Bikes

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh hell yes

Great news Fred. Count me in to help out. Industry NIne is swell.

Wish I could make the SORBA meeting but I'm committed to working the annual enviro group Christmas party tonight. Next time.

Oh yeah Fred, I'm Jody in the real world.

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
keep an eye out

Mike Brown said:
SORBA would love to help with construction. Fred, PM me a time and date and Ken can send it out via e-mail listserv. We can access the BRBC tools, if that's helpful.
Thanks, Mike
I'll keep an eye on the weather just as soon as the holidays have passed us by, and we can look for a dry weekend.

We have a Bobcat on site, BTW. :D I've already shaped and packed three of the four big tabletops, and cut in a sidehill line that leads to a sweet 10ft. high roll-in. We've got a couple big berms roughly shaped, but we def. need some help creating the rest of the rollers and with imagination to create the rest of the loop - we've got essentially a blank page to scribble upon!

·
Registered
255 Posts
never heard of a pump track until now

it looks kinda like a gerbil in a roller derby

why dont you just build a bmx track with jumps> way faster and open
the pump track just looks cramped and limiting

this is just my opinion

good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Frankenstein said:
never heard of a pump track until now

it looks kinda like a gerbil in a roller derby

why dont you just build a bmx track with jumps> way faster and open
the pump track just looks cramped and limiting

this is just my opinion

good luck
the training you get by only pumping with your arms and legs to propel yourself around without pedaling. most have a time doing just one lap without pedaling. it is a pump track. not dirt jumps or bmx. get it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.