Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next stop the Holy Land. Day one was a quick shake down at Zappa (Lost Lake) Trails, followed by a short run on Cut Yer Bars. And then off to roots, tetter totters, logs, more roots and tons of woodwork on River Runs Through It. One of the many great features was a raised double tetter. See grrah for example

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
nope no more pictures

There should be much better examples around of how to ride the double teeter by jdub on other peoples cameras.

okay, maybe more pictures later

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
That is unbelievable. You guys did so much on your first day. Lost Lake is cool. I took my dad and my kid there. They stayed on the crushed gravel while I played on the bridges.

Remember, those cedar bridges have very high grip.

Looks like it rained. Conditions seem perfect.

fc

·
Paper or plastic?
10,288 Posts
Sweet trip. We need more pictures! Have fun.

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
Are you guys gonna ride the bike park? The surrounding trails are fun but the bike park is were it's at. Your skillz will improve greatly from a few days of down only. Start on Crank it Up for warm up and go from there. Come back a bunch of downhill maniacs :thumbsup:

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
I rode that double teeter totter. Pretty easy. Falling is harder, especially the impact. :madman:
There is a teeter totter in the Collonade that articulates (moves sideways). I hit that without knowing, what a surprise. The hardest teeter totter I know of in Whister is on Section 102, six foot up and drops you into a rooty rock garden. There are probably sicker totters.

Did you guys check out Pemberton? Squamish? Better than Whistler, IMHO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So, can anyone describe the mechanics of a Whistler trip for me? Do you stay at the resort proper, or do you get a hotel nearby? Where do you keep your bikes? Are all the trailheads in the same place, or do you need to arrange transport? Do the bike park trails connect to the surrounding stuff?

I want to go! Thanks for the eye candy, Baycat and Grrrah.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,041 Posts
jeng said:
Are you guys gonna ride the bike park? The surrounding trails are fun but the bike park is were it's at. Your skillz will improve greatly from a few days of down only. Start on Crank it Up for warm up and go from there. Come back a bunch of downhill maniacs :thumbsup:
Yeah, they're gonna ride the bike park. They're just warming up right now. Some of them may never come back to Norcal.

fc

·
loopy counter
869 Posts
PlasticBike said:
So, can anyone describe the mechanics of a Whistler trip for me?
Fly into Vancouver, take a shuttle to Wtown, get a hotel, or if you are cheap, camp at the rv park or try the hostel. Don't show up without reservation.

Do you stay at the resort proper, or do you get a hotel nearby?
If you are in a hotel, you are in the resort. There might be some B&B options, research.

Where do you keep your bikes?
Hotels have lockups. Bring your cable locks.

Are all the trailheads in the same place, or do you need to arrange transport?
No, but you can ride to them. Get a map, navigation is pretty easy in the valley.

Do the bike park trails connect to the surrounding stuff?
Yes and No. Khyber Pass, Tunnel Vision are outside the park but doable via the lifts. Most people riding the bike park stay to the park trails.

I want to go! Thanks for the eye candy, Baycat and Grrrah.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,485 Posts
Green with envy! And the Colonnade too! I guess I had my turn last year, maybe next year.You guys sure know how to plan bike trips:thumbsup: . Hitting the shore at all? Stay safe and have fun!

·
Spin-stabilized
1,485 Posts
2:21 Grrrah getting freaky with the new bike:thumbsup:

grrrah said:
nope no more pictures

There should be much better examples around of how to ride the double teeter by jdub on other peoples cameras.

okay, maybe more pictures later

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Day two saw some of us hit Kill Me Thrill Me and do a half day at the bike park on lift assited downhill rips, me on the hardtail. Ouch. Blue is the new black up here. Pictures to follow.

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
knobs said:
If you are in a hotel, you are in the resort. There might be some B&B options, research.

Hotels have lockups. Bring your cable locks.
for a B & B option try Whistler Mountain House. The owner Martin also teach and guides in the bike park. I stayed with him for five days this month. It is located just south of the main village. You can ride back from the Bike Park right across the street from the place.

Depending upon the hotel they will have a bike check (Cascade Lodge) or a parking garage with a bike cage (Whistler Village Inn). Yes, bring your own cable and lock. Staying in the village for your first trip is cool. Lots of action. Staying in Creekside a few miles down the road is probably cheaper, but there is no action there. You will be driving to the village for all of your activities.

For condos try booking through this place:
http://www.affordablewhistler.com/

Limited properties but pretty inexpensive. My friends have stayed at theGranite Court place a number of times.

Regarding flying, Air Canada has a good bike policy. $50 each way vs United at $175 each way. Ouch. Another cheap option is to fly into Bellingham, WA. Allegiant Air flys SFO to Belligham and appears to be cheap. Don't know their bike policy. BTW, car rentals in Canada compared to the states are high. In Canada try Discount Car Rental.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts