Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
July 10, 2021: I’m going to switch this over to a drop bar format and plan on keeping it. The shorter top tube should be perfect for that setup.

2020 build. SRAM GX drivetrain. XT hydraulic disc brakes. Race Face Turbine crankset. Chris King headset. Thompson seatpost. Surly rims. Oversized seat tube.
I would call this an XL or XXL. Geometry is on the attached photo. There are two small paint chips on the fork. It is otherwise in great, but not showroom new, condition. Located near Tacoma, WA.

The only reason I am testing the waters is because it does not have enough reach for me. I am the original owner and have had fun on it and ridden approximately 50 miles on it. Realistically I am not going to get anywhere near what I paid for it, and that’s ok. I’m pricing it for $3600, slightly below what the frame/fork/headset cost me. I figure that if someone has time and inclination to part it out they could do so economically. If there isn’t any interest that’s ok and I’ll keep it. I might consider trades for certain bicycles, maybe even a cosmetically challenged but reliable dual sport or dirt bike?
Thanks for looking.

·
Bipolar roller
1,386 Posts
What is the reach on this bike? I don’t see it in the geo chart, but maybe I am not looking at it right.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
23” by my measuring tape. Center of BB to center of head tube, level with the ground.

·
Bipolar roller
1,386 Posts
+580mm? Don’t think there is a bike available with a longer reach than that. I suspect that measurement is not accurate.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be off. Later I’ll set something up with a carpenter’s level, measuring tape, and take photos.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be off. Later I’ll set something up with a carpenter’s level, measuring tape, and take photos.
Ok, I apparently desperately needed the 13 hours of sleep I got after that last post. The reach is a hair under 16”. Looks like 15 7/8. 381mm of reach by my calculation.
CE461F02-80CB-4A93-A69B-F2884ED069D4.jpeg
347D4346-9ABD-43C8-BB46-F0AAD502AEBF.jpeg

·
Bipolar roller
1,386 Posts
...I would call this an XL or XXL...

The only reason I am testing the waters is because it does not have enough reach for me...
How tall are you? A 381mm reach is size XS or XXS and in no way a XL or XXL, especially for a 2020 frame. That is a significantly shorter reach than a small surely ICT which had a 405mm reach. Only measurement on that chart that looks like an XL or XXL is the seat tube at 490mm. However, the seat tube length does absolutely nothing for the bikes fit and performance other than to get in your way if it is too long.

Given that you were under the impression your bike is an XL or XXL I double checked your measurements and I got 396mm for a reach using the other numbers on your geo chart, so that does seem about right. For perspective using another small, made in the USA bike manufactures numbers, an XL Wyatt Maverick fat bike has a 525mm reach.

Just curious here, did independent fabrication tell you this is an XL/XXL?

·
Bipolar roller
1,386 Posts
Perhaps it was a custom build for a taller person that was after a very upright riding position? My large Surly Pugsley has reach of ~416mm according to 99spokes.
With a 100mm head tube length and 490mm fork length, making for a 613mm stack that would be a very low front end and not upright for a tall rider. Also, looks to show a 100mm stem which doesn’t go with trying to get a more upright position.
Even with a shorter stem to bring it back further, the bars would still be low and banging into a tall riders knees which I know all about at 6’3.

As for the 416 reach on your large pugsley, my large 1991 Trek singletrack has a about a 415mm reach. That bike has also since been discontinued.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it was a custom frame. In hindsight I should have gone there in person to try different frames before signing off on the spec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts