Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if anyone has seen any snakes yet this year? If not about when do we start seeing them around ABQ? I am not a big fan of snakes so I have been enjoying riding without worry, but I have a feeling that will be ending soon.

Also I live in ABQ and was wondering from your experiences which trails have you seen the most snakes or the least snakes? I have seen several snakes while riding the North Foothills trail. Some rattlesnakes and some others that I think were bull snakes but I am not sure. I am sure on the rattlesnakes but not the others. Have you every heard of someone being bitten while riding? I have heard about people getting bit when they get off there bike to rest but I have never heard of anyone getting bit by a rattlesnake while in motion. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've seen some RS on NFH/SFH and also on the west Mesa Volcano trails....
By the time I see the snake on the trail...It was to late to avoid..so I ran over it...if it is laying flat I dont sweat it to much...I try to speed up and aim for the head (thats just me)
However if its coiled...I try to do whatever it takes to avoid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just more concerned about blind corners. There are just some parts of the trail that you can't see until you are there. I am always concerned that there will be a rattler on the trail getting some sun. I know that the chances of that are small but since when is fear rational.:madman:

·
Big John
170 Posts
Snakes, schmakes. It's not uncommon to see 2 or 3 in one ride in the Dona Anas once the temps get warm. Rumor has it there is a Diamondback > 6ft long out there. All you can do is be on the lookout, as Nenbran said. I've missed many a rattler by a mere 2 inches, have seen God knows how many ahead of time (the best possible thing to happen), and passed some that didn't rattle until I was just about perpendicular to their trail side location - those are the worst, because you don't see em, but you hear them, and that is a sound that always makes the hair on my neck stand up. For the most part, you will be going too fast for any snake to get its bearings in time to strike. It will likely be just as surprised as you are, and by that time, you'll have passed by or over it.

Delnorte - It's been a while since I've dined upon rattlesnake, but it does taste like chicken if memory serves me correctly.

http://www.cyclingcrowd.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/au-bicycle/3985/Mountain-biking-and-snakes

Don't do this -

·
Registered
307 Posts
All kidding aside

Please don't kill snakes or harm snakes. Rattlers and other snakes around these parts are not out to bite people. They prefer to get away from people. Snakes keep the rodent population down and perform other varieties of environmental service. Snakes got a bad rap after the Bible got handed down. If you see a rattlesnake, calmly back up and let it slither away. If you run over a snake, warn the others in your party to hang back until the snake goes away. Snakes are cool, a lot cooler than some members of our species. They only act according to their nature. They are not the Devil incarnate. They do not seek to bite humans. They are far preferable to the bubonic plague. Go ride without fear—of snakes at least.

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
Blister Butt said:
Please don't kill snakes or harm snakes. Rattlers and other snakes around these parts are not out to bite people. They prefer to get away from people. Snakes keep the rodent population down and perform other varieties of environmental service. Snakes got a bad rap after the Bible got handed down. If you see a rattlesnake, calmly back up and let it slither away. If you run over a snake, warn the others in your party to hang back until the snake goes away. Snakes are cool, a lot cooler than some members of our species. They only act according to their nature. They are not the Devil incarnate. They do not seek to bite humans. They are far preferable to the bubonic plague. Go ride without fear—of snakes at least.

+1 :thumbsup: Spoken like a true do-gooder!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blister Butt said:

I totally understand all the good that snakes do and I would never harm a snake. I have a very health respect for them. I would never mess with a snake I am more concerned about coming around a corner and a rattler being in striking distance of my ankle. I have not been in ABQ that long and I am not used to rattle snakes on the trails.

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
ajn78 said:
I totally understand all the good that snakes do and I would never harm a snake. I have a very health respect for them. I would never mess with a snake I am more concerned about coming around a corner and a rattler being in striking distance of my ankle. I have not been in ABQ that long and I am not used to rattle snakes on the trails.
Just to be safe, you should probably just stay off the trails until November.

·
7MGTE
1,706 Posts
Snakes???

ajn78 said:
I am not a big fan of snakes so I have been enjoying riding without worry, but I have a feeling that will be ending soon.
I think you will be fine on the trail just keep an eye out from time to time. If you are planning a trip be careful I saw something about snakes here:

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
I carry a loop of 3/4" manila rope to circle around my bike when I stop because a snake won't cross a rope. I coil it around my seatpost when I'm riding. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts