Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you bike with or without your helmet visor? Why? The visor tends to not let me look as far ahead as I like, but it helps deflect branches and the sun. I wear sunglasses, but am wondering other people's thoughts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With.....

I ride with the visor on. It kinda looks dorky without one. I've got a Giro Xen that can adjust the visor 15 degrees so if i can't see too well, I can flip the visor up. The visor keeps the sun and rain off my eyes.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
With. It's not a downhill ski helmet.
SilverStar said:
I ride with the visor on. It kinda looks dorky without one. I've got a Giro Xen that can adjust the visor 15 degrees so if i can't see too well, I can flip the visor up. The visor keeps the sun and rain off my eyes.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
need visor

It is safer with the visor. It protects the eyes from small branches that will snap back to the helmet. I ride with full visor. There is nothing dorky about it.

People used to say that it was dorky to ride a bike with helmet. now, everyone realize that helmet is nescessary safety equipment.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I take them off, they serve no functional purpose 90% of the time. Better visibility without it on the more leaned forward riding position of the XC race bike. A definate no no on the road bike. Your neck will get sore from having to hold your head up so far back to be able to see forward with the damn thing on. I will typically put it on for trails that are completely out in the open most of the time with no shade or cover but for the most part I prefer to just wear sunglasses to take care of that. I don't care if the helmet looks dorky without them. Bike helmets look dorky either way. I'd rather have as much uninterrupted visibility in every direction than worry about looking dorky.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I ride with the visor. And how grateful was I for that visor yesterday. The trees are still bare, so the beaming sun came down hard - it was the brightest I'd ever seen the trail - so that visor did its job keeping the glare out of my eyes. I also noticed that the visor works well to deflect air away from my eyes, even though I wear prescription wraparound glasses. When I ride without the visor, I still get some air seeping in, making it more difficult to see and/or concentrate.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I ride with a visor. I do most of my riding during peak sunlight, so it's a must. I also ride in a very relaxed somewhat upright position.

On the streets though, I ride my track bike w/o the visior because of the lower bar position.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
richeyr said:
Do you bike with or without your helmet visor? Why? The visor tends to not let me look as far ahead as I like, but it helps deflect branches and the sun. I wear sunglasses, but am wondering other people's thoughts.
No visor. Block my vision. They force me to crane my neck too much to see down the trail and that causes neck and shoulder pain.

The helmet alone does a nice job deflecting branches. I wear sun glasses for the sun glare.

·
Registered
48 Posts
with visor

with, it looks much better and protects against branches. i wear sunglasses as well, my vision isn't affected at all by the visor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
with. I have never had it block my vision on a mtb. Great for blocking glare, protection, etc. I take it off for road riding because it is in the way on the road bike. I look just as lame as road bikers that way, too, so I fit in better.

·
Don't touch me!
854 Posts
I prefer without. I think xc helmets look kinda dorky with a visor, but I don't use them because of that. Better visibility as others have said. I always wear sunglasses too so a visor is a little redundant. I'm more concerned about tire fling and bugs in my eyes. A branch will still deflect off your helmet if you're wearing a visor or not. Plus I save 23+ grams without it!

Its funny you say that b/c I just replaced my old helmet with a Giro Atmos. I must be a closet roadie.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked mainly because of the visibility issue. In the most comfortable riding position on both my bikes the visor allows me to only see about maybe ten feet in front of me without having to lift my head up. Lifting my head causes soreness in my neck and shoulders. I have rode with and without the visor, but I am the only one on the trail without a visor when I ride. I thnk I am going to leave it off more this season, since I wear sunglasses anyways.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
richeyr said:
I asked mainly because of the visibility issue. In the most comfortable riding position on both my bikes the visor allows me to only see about maybe ten feet in front of me without having to lift my head up. Lifting my head causes soreness in my neck and shoulders. I have rode with and without the visor, but I am the only one on the trail without a visor when I ride. I thnk I am going to leave it off more this season, since I wear sunglasses anyways.
Just leave it off all the time. Sounds like you do not ride in the Sit-Up-and-Beg position that best suits visor use.

·
she keep you buying rats
300 Posts
Without for me...

...I guess I have a weird shaped skull, but the visor blocks my vision.

Speaking of visors. Knowing the roadie disgust for helmet visors. I got such a huge kick out of it last year when Armstrong had Giro build him a custom visor to wear during the TdF. That together with his black socks... and dominant victory... it created quite a quandry in the minds of the roadie fashion set. ;)

G

·
I'm pretty lucky to live in a sunny place(except for the melanomia, that is). Always ridden with a helmet visor. Definitely helps keep the sun out of your eyes.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
richeyr said:
I usually leve the visor on. When I ride my beefier bike with a more upright riding position, I keep the visor down. When I ride my XC bike with a more aggressive riding position, I tend to flip the visor up.

If I used a road bike, I'd go without the visor to keep from having to crane my neck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
With. It actually saved me from getting a sunburn on my face this weekend. If you're like me, there are always those rides where you forget sunblock or didn't expect to need it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.