Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what happens when the Old Judy XC with 1" steer tube needs replacement. Take note of the almost robotic precision with which the Dremel tool was used to pare the crown to molecular thin-ness before using the Impact Device to complete the removal process....

Behold the disassembly process

Attachments

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got carried away and did another one with a 2003 SID race, raw aluminum color on my bontrager SS. Looks so much like the Judy XC you can hardly notice.....

I'll post ride pics for that one.

·
Registered
779 Posts
awesome! glad to see it worked for you.

·
Illuminati
1,730 Posts
interesting thread :)
I'm about to do this very process. which dremel part did you use? carbon cutting disk? I've started cutting a 01 judy sl (coil/oil v.reliable) & its ripping through the disk!

any other tips? :D

G

·
scant said:
I'm about to do this very process. which dremel part did you use? carbon cutting disk? I've started cutting a 01 judy sl (coil/oil v.reliable) & its ripping through the disk!

i used a metal saw blade to make a vertical cut into the clamp. before i wrapped a thick layer of tape around the stanchion below the crown to not scratch it or cut into it. and i did not cut through the crown down to the stanchion but stopped cutting just before i reached the stanchions. then i used a screw driver to widen the cut and break it up completely. no damage to the stanchions and i could easily pull off the crown. i did that to mount newer Judy lowers into a bolted Klein MC2 specific Judy crown. perfect result!

Carsten

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scant said:

I used the composite cutting wheel to make thin cuts as deep as possible without cutting the tubes, then I widened them on one side so I could get purchase with a cold chisel and used a deadblow hammer to crack the final bit of crown material away from the stanchion tubes. Kinda like opening a door. GO VERY SLOWLY. Let the tool do the cutting, and do not let it get too hot or it will get all boogered up on the cutting wheel. Make sure you have a decent sized piece of the crown off before you try to remove the tubes, and you can rock them out slowly without damage.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Lutarious said:
I used the composite cutting wheel to make thin cuts as deep as possible without cutting the tubes, then I widened them on one side so I could get purchase with a cold chisel and used a deadblow hammer to crack the final bit of crown material away from the stanchion tubes. Kinda like opening a door. GO VERY SLOWLY. Let the tool do the cutting, and do not let it get too hot or it will get all boogered up on the cutting wheel. Make sure you have a decent sized piece of the crown off before you try to remove the tubes, and you can rock them out slowly without damage.
Nice work! So once you had that little portion of the crown removed the stanchions were free? Id have hard time destroying that nice forged crown! :) Wouldnt it have been easier to fix whatever was wrong with the Judy? I do think the SID has much better suspension action than a stock Judy though.

What about the stanchion length? The SID crown has more drop than a Judy crown, does this affect your tire clearance? Is that an 80mm SID? How much clearance between the top of the tire and crown?

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Nice work! So once you had that little portion of the crown removed the stanchions were free? Id have hard time destroying that nice forged crown! :) Wouldnt it have been easier to fix whatever was wrong with the Judy? I do think the SID has much better suspension action than a stock Judy though.

What about the stanchion length? The SID crown has more drop than a Judy crown, does this affect your tire clearance? Is that an 80mm SID? How much clearance between the top of the tire and crown?
Yes, once the section was missing, the tubes were easy to remove. They aren't bonded, they are pressed intothe crown, which has a small shoulder near the top so I couldn/t press them back out to save the crown.

The Judy was old and tired. The only rescue might have been an Englund Air set up for my 100 pound Girlfriend, but I go the SID for so little money, I figured why not use the one piece lower.

As for Stanchion length, it is really close. I used the old crown because it is 1 inch, but also because the lower rise kept the ride height about the same. If it is too raked out, we can do the flip and make it 63mm instead of 80, but it seems really good now with a slightly higher negative air pressure which reduces the travel.

More tuning tips would be appreciated, since I have 3 SIDs in the house where once there were none...

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Lutarious said:
Hey Eric,
great meeting you at Keyesville. I hope we can ride together some time.

my regular email is [email protected] I lost yours. Keep in touch.

Peter (Joss, Lang and Jenny too...)
If you make it to Idaho look me up (laffeaux at yahoo.com).

I'll be in the bay area a couple of times this next summer. I plan on riding while I'm there (likely in the south bay) with Rumpfy. I'll send an email and let you know where and when.

Otherwise I'll see you at Keyesville next year!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Rumpfy said:
It's been discussed before...but it's really nice to actually see it done!

Nice work!
Nice job man, it's definitely not for the faint hearted.

Hey ER, do you still have that three page instruction I wrote ya on how to do this & press the legs into a new non-bolted crown? A buddy of mine wants to do it again, and I don't want to write all that crap over if I don't have to.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
laffeaux said:
If you make it to Idaho look me up (laffeaux at yahoo.com).

I'll be in the bay area a couple of times this next summer. I plan on riding while I'm there (likely in the south bay) with Rumpfy. I'll send an email and let you know where and when.

Otherwise I'll see you at Keyesville next year!!
Yeah, there are a handful of us vintage guys that are local. When Laffeaux comes to town, I'm sure there will be some post made for a 'NorCal Vintage Ride" while he's here.

Plus the Retro Gathering at the Sea Otter...

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
Nice job man, it's definitely not for the faint hearted.

Hey ER, do you still have that three page instruction I wrote ya on how to do this & press the legs into a new non-bolted crown? A buddy of mine wants to do it again, and I don't want to write all that crap over if I don't have to.
Ooh...I'll take a look but I might not have it anymore...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.