Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying it is not because they are rude, their products are junk, etc... Quite the opposite. The problem lies in the fact that myself and 2 other people were told false information about their Snow White Hubs. I purchased a pair with the XX1 freehub body and laced them to a set of Marge Lights with double butted spokes. Pretty pricey set of wheels in the end. The hubs are smooth and light. I bought this set of hubs in lieu of the I9's because I cannot stand loud freehubs. I was told by multiple sources at the company that the hubs were convertible to thru axle. I planned on upgrading fromt he Muk to a Bear Grease this spring. I have my nice new carbon frame, went to order the conversion kits that myself, my shop mechanic, and another friend were told they had while at Interbike ( later confirmed over the phone before I ordered them), and they tell me they do not have parts to do this and have no plans to make these parts. WTF? I am pissed. Now, in order to keep from having to buy a new set of hubs and building a new set of wheels, I am actually contemplating having new axles machined so I can use the existing wheels.

Anyone ever try something like this? Is there a machinist on here that dabbles in Ti that would be interested in the challenge? I can get CAD drawings made is that helps. Or should I just bite the bullet and go I9?

Matt

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
....I am actually contemplating having new axles machined so I can use the existing wheels.

Anyone ever try something like this? Is there a machinist on here that dabbles in Ti that would be interested in the challenge? I can get CAD drawings made is that helps. Or should I just bite the bullet and go I9?

Matt
Do a batch. Provide the solution to the problem, and you'll be able to sell a few to other folk with the same problem.

I'm sure you're not the only one.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yup, I ran into this same issue, although in my case it's 10mm thru-axles on a Fatback.

I ended up paying to get the wheels built a second time with my Fatback OEM hubs.

At least the spokes were the same so I saved that cost ...

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you have an alternate set of wheels to use, you might just hold off for a bit and ask White Industries again later. In 2011 I asked them if they had any plans to make 170mm hubs, and they basically said "No way, never going to happen. Too small of a market, and there's too much direct, high-end competition." (I posted a copy of the transaction here in the forum somewhere.)

So I don't know if they're being deliberately coy and cryptic or, more likely, if the right hand simply doesn't know what the left hand is doing at the ol' WI headquarters - but I wouldn't take anything as gospel until I heard it from Doug White himself. And, if nothing else, they are prone to changing their minds.

I've personally been wondering about the possibility of 190mm hubs being forthcoming but, based on my last exchange, decided not to bother asking. So I actually chose my new frame with a 170mm rear end - specifically so I could use their current hubs.

Funny thing is that I know I'm not alone in having this level of appreciation/loyalty to their products. Heck, you even started your complaint by saying something nice about them. So I can't understand why they would be deliberately secretive about their plans. It's not like we're talking about new ideas here. If anything, it seems like they'd discourage potential competition by talking about their future plans more openly.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would just sell them and recoup what you can and use that towards hubs that work for you. Unless you are in the machining industry doing something like the up can be a headache and really not worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.