Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Voodoo Canzo Very nice looking frame.

The only drawback for me is tire clearance is 2.3.


I would like to find a 29er FS frame with
Tire clearance of 2.5
Fox RP23 Shock system
Tapered head tube would be a bonus.

Any ideas on 29er frames that may fit this bill?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
nailgunn said:
I was looking at the Voodoo Canzo Very nice looking frame.

The only drawback for me is tire clearance is 2.3.

I would like to find a 29er FS frame with
Tire clearance of 2.5
Fox RP23 Shock system
Tapered head tube would be a bonus.

Any ideas on 29er frames that may fit this bill?
I don't know how much experience you have on 29ers, but a lot of guys that ran 2.5 tires on the 26" bikes are happy with 2.3's on their 29ers. I know, where I ride, I would hate to have heavy tires on a 29er. Far more so than on my 26" bike.

Give us a better idea of where you ride and what you would use the bike for and maybe people can use their experience to help you find the right frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xjbaylor said:
I don't know how much experience you have on 29ers, but a lot of guys that ran 2.5 tires on the 26" bikes are happy with 2.3's on their 29ers. I know, where I ride, I would hate to have heavy tires on a 29er. Far more so than on my 26" bike.

Give us a better idea of where you ride and what you would use the bike for and maybe people can use their experience to help you find the right frame.
I have no 29er experience.
I am now riding a 2011 Fuel EX8 trying to get some info to maybe build a 29er in the winter.

I had an old 1990 Scott Windriver Rigid and did most of my preious riding in the Bay Area Black Diamond / Mount Diablo

I am in Michigan now and just getting back into riding after 10 years.
Truthfully I can't say exaclty my direction or course of riding. Safe to say I will be on wooded single track. I may start to race but I have some training ahead for that.
I am looking for a good all around frame. I guess the reason for looking at a tire width of up to 2.5 is I don't want to close down options.

So far all I have found is the Niner Frames and was looking for some more options.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
bikespearo said:
The Santa Cruz Tallboy will take a 2.4 and on the web site they say it will fit a WTB 2.55 this bike has all the specs you ask for I think. Also mabe a Jet 9 or Rip 9 may do the trick too.
The Weirwolf 2.55 is only 2.3" in real life on normal rims. Fitting a 2.4 is good though because some of the best larger trail tire options are in that range right now (Ardent 2.4, Purgatory 2.4)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
the back inside edge of the front der. is the clearance factor on the Tallboy and I can tell you that if you use a 2x10 or 2x9 drive train you can run a much larger tire like a true 2.5 than if you have a 3 ring crank up front. when the FD is in the grany ring that is when it will hit a wide tire. Some other designs may be like this too so if you use a 2x10 you may just find that many for frames can take wider tires than listed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bikespearo said:
the back inside edge of the front der. is the clearance factor on the Tallboy and I can tell you that if you use a 2x10 or 2x9 drive train you can run a much larger tire like a true 2.5 than if you have a 3 ring crank up front. when the FD is in the grany ring that is when it will hit a wide tire. Some other designs may be like this too so if you use a 2x10 you may just find that many for frames can take wider tires than listed.
Yea chances are I will be using a 3X10 crank. This is good info to keep in of my mind.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
I willtake a look tonight to see if my RaRa 2.4 will fit on the Canzo, that should give you a good idea of the size. Also, don't count out non RP23 bikes. I actually prefer the RT3 to the RP23, though by so little margin I would be happy on either.

nailgunn said:
I have no 29er experience.
I am now riding a 2011 Fuel EX8 trying to get some info to maybe build a 29er in the winter.

I had an old 1990 Scott Windriver Rigid and did most of my preious riding in the Bay Area Black Diamond / Mount Diablo

I am in Michigan now and just getting back into riding after 10 years.
Truthfully I can't say exaclty my direction or course of riding. Safe to say I will be on wooded single track. I may start to race but I have some training ahead for that.
I am looking for a good all around frame. I guess the reason for looking at a tire width of up to 2.5 is I don't want to close down options.

So far all I have found is the Niner Frames and was looking for some more options.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
nailgunn said:
I was looking at the Voodoo Canzo Very nice looking frame.

The only drawback for me is tire clearance is 2.3.

I would like to find a 29er FS frame with
Tire clearance of 2.5
Fox RP23 Shock system
Tapered head tube would be a bonus.

Any ideas on 29er frames that may fit this bill?
Actually you can fit an Ardent 2.4 in the rear of the Canzo. I started out running one on mine and it rode great as long as I kept the tires on the ground. But here is the rub...literally! :D Going off of drops the tire rubs the cable stop for the front derailleur. This issue could possibly be fixed by running higher pressures in the shock but I like the pressure I had it set at. Or you might not be as fat as I am. I am 210 not geared up. It might not be an issue for a lighter rider. I ended up switching out the back tire to a 2.1 Ignitor EXO and have been very pleased. Below is a picture of the Canzo with a Ardent on it. Only a side shot, I don't have a picture of the tire in the rear triangle unfortunately.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EVERYUSERNAMEISTAKEN said:
I am 210 not geared up. It might not be an issue for a lighter rider. I ended up switching out the back tire to a 2.1 Ignitor EXO and have been very pleased. Below is a picture of the Canzo with a Ardent on it. Only a side shot, I don't have a picture of the tire in the rear triangle unfortunately.
Ha I wish I was that light : )

I am 5'10" 240 not geared.... working on that :)

The Canzo is a sexy bike good price point and hell so what it's max 2.3
TheTallboy is like the Canzo on tire spacing and is a real nice bike also.
The Niner frames look really nice just that pivot below the BB is a bit differant. And all this chain suck on the earlier models is a bit troublsome.

As far as the RP23 I guess I would like to stay with the Fox solution .. I have the RP2 on my EX8 right now and love the "Lockout" Option it has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
socal_jack said:
RIP9 has plenty of room, I run Dissents F/R, RIP9 also has RP23 and tapered HT.
Been eyballing the RIP 9 in a bad way. I was lurking in the Niner rooms a bit today to try and get some feel on the RIP. To see how well my new 2011 XTR Group will work on it.

That whole chain suck thing is the biggest thing that worries me. I guess I could go to a 2X10 if it is bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
nailgunn said:
Been eyballing the RIP 9 in a bad way. I was lurking in the Niner rooms a bit today to try and get some feel on the RIP. To see how well my new 2011 XTR Group will work on it.

That whole chain suck thing is the biggest thing that worries me. I guess I could go to a 2X10 if it is bad.
Chainring condition and chain maintenance are what really cause chainsuck, some frames just make the consequences worse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
nailgunn said:
I was looking at the Voodoo Canzo Very nice looking frame.

The only drawback for me is tire clearance is 2.3.

I would like to find a 29er FS frame with
Tire clearance of 2.5
Fox RP23 Shock system
Tapered head tube would be a bonus.

Any ideas on 29er frames that may fit this bill?
I put an ardent 2.4 on my canzo and it would rub only occasionally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
nailgunn said:
Ha I wish I was that light : )

I am 5'10" 240 not geared.... working on that :)

The Canzo is a sexy bike good price point and hell so what it's max 2.3
TheTallboy is like the Canzo on tire spacing and is a real nice bike also.
The Niner frames look really nice just that pivot below the BB is a bit differant. And all this chain suck on the earlier models is a bit troublsome.

As far as the RP23 I guess I would like to stay with the Fox solution .. I have the RP2 on my EX8 right now and love the "Lockout" Option it has.
I get that. As far as the lockout goes, the RT3 first have a lockout, but the Canzo climbs great in either "pro-pedal" setting. Unless you spend a lot of time on the road I wouldn't fret about the lack of a true lockout.
Get what you want regardless, just don't think that the RT3 is second best, it has improved so much it is now a matter of preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
nailgunn said:
Been eyballing the RIP 9 in a bad way. I was lurking in the Niner rooms a bit today to try and get some feel on the RIP. To see how well my new 2011 XTR Group will work on it.

That whole chain suck thing is the biggest thing that worries me. I guess I could go to a 2X10 if it is bad.
If you really read into the threads on Niner chainsuck, from 2009 or 2010 on (whenever they put the notch in the chainstay I have a 2010) there is little if any problem except from people that try to use f'd-up chainlines and non-recommended chainring sizes(too big) in the middle(3x) or outer position on 2x9/10 setups. In over 6 months I've had only 1 episode and that was my fault, thumb bumped FD to small ring as I was grabbing about a 5 gear shift in the RD, but I've done that on other bikes as well. I run a 2X9, 22/32/bash, 10-34 mostly SRAM/Tru-vativ(51mm CL) but an SLX 667 FD. The RIP9 will put a serious grin on your face, best MTB I think I've ever owned out of about 10. Also a clyde 225 before suiting up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
socal_jack said:
If you really read into the threads on Niner chainsuck, from 2009 or 2010 on (whenever they put the notch in the chainstay I have a 2010) there is little if any problem except from people that try to use f'd-up chainlines and non-recommended chainring sizes(too big) in the middle(3x) or outer position on 2x9/10 setups. In over 6 months I've had only 1 episode and that was my fault, thumb bumped FD to small ring as I was grabbing about a 5 gear shift in the RD, but I've done that on other bikes as well. I run a 2X9, 22/32/bash, 10-34 mostly SRAM/Tru-vativ(51mm CL) but an SLX 667 FD. The RIP9 will put a serious grin on your face, best MTB I think I've ever owned out of about 10. Also a clyde 225 before suiting up.
Big Thanks
I am using the 42-32-24T/11-36 SLX on my EX8 26" My last bike I bumped up to a 44. I feel the 42/11 on a 26 wheel is a touch short on top end. I figured by going to a 29er I would give myself the extra top end and accualy all the front rings because of the tire size.
I have a triple 2011 XTR 42-32-24 in shipment right now.

Did Niner make any changes from the 2010 and 2011 model years on the RIP 9?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
nailgunn said:
Big Thanks
I am using the 42-32-24T/11-36 SLX on my EX8 26" My last bike I bumped up to a 44. I feel the 42/11 on a 26 wheel is a touch short on top end. I figured by going to a 29er I would give myself the extra top end and accualy all the front rings because of the tire size.
I have a triple 2011 XTR 42-32-24 in shipment right now.

Did Niner make any changes from the 2010 and 2011 model years on the RIP 9?
Yes!, they slackened the head angle starting in 2011 by ~1 degree and tweaked the rest of geometry to match. I'm running a 140mm Marz up front so my BB is probably an inch higher than it would be using a 2011 frame. They also changed the headset style from integrated to zero stack so you can use one the angled headsets where you can further explore that option although you need to use a 1/1/8" steerer fork(my Marz has one). 142mm rear drops available too.

https://www.canecreek.com/component-headsets?browse=Complete&name=AngleSet

Also if you are worried a bit by the lower link, mtbr member "cytoe" has a classified ad and sells a well made bash guard that attaches to the water bottle bosses, hard to see in this pic

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
yeah

socal_jack said:
If you really read into the threads on Niner chainsuck, from 2009 or 2010 on (whenever they put the notch in the chainstay I have a 2010) there is little if any problem except from people that try to use f'd-up chainlines and non-recommended chainring sizes(too big) in the middle(3x) or outer position on 2x9/10 setups. In over 6 months I've had only 1 episode and that was my fault, thumb bumped FD to small ring as I was grabbing about a 5 gear shift in the RD, but I've done that on other bikes as well. I run a 2X9, 22/32/bash, 10-34 mostly SRAM/Tru-vativ(51mm CL) but an SLX 667 FD. The RIP9 will put a serious grin on your face, best MTB I think I've ever owned out of about 10. Also a clyde 225 before suiting up.
Agreed. If you read the "Specifications and Compatibility" tab on the RIP9 page http://ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=94 you will be problem free. Most of those guys on that thread are running triple with 44T, or 2x using the 42 tooth which is a big no no. Run a 39T 2x and you're golden.

Yep,

PF
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top