Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great, great bike. I really considered buying a Mojo. I was able to see several that had been ridden hard for months. They all looked fairly chewed up, some also had protective tape falling off that looked less than great. Mostly saw cable rub, scrapes and lots of paint chips. One guy had chain suck and the frame held up structurally, but looked awful. This is probably just a cosmetic issue, but it's the only issue that is keeping me from a purchase. Oh course, it's a mountain bike so this will not matter to many.

· flow where ever you go
1,521 Posts
Go Nude, and/or look around here for recommendations of good tape. 2 years of beating on my nude (and taped) Mojo and it looks new when clean.

· holding back the darkness
1,735 Posts
I've been on mine for 18 months.... looks about like you'd expect any bike of that vintage. I don't think it is any less durable than any other frame out there. For about $20 in 3M clearbra you can armor that thing up nicely.
Not a big deal.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
DUDE, Read : Then get the SL For The Super Paint

jmelani said:
They all looked fairly chewed up, some also had protective tape falling off that looked less than great. Mostly saw cable rub, scrapes and lots of paint chips.
Yup, If I was you, I would go to a dealer on the demo program that has had their pond scum green bikes for a year or more. Find out how many times they have been out, etc. This is the same super durable finish on the Mojo SL.
Then, you can feel really confindent about buying a nude carbon SL with that paint as it will stay really great shape for a number of years and you won't miss out on the best long travel bike on the market.:thumbsup:

· Has a cycling disorder
530 Posts
I wish I was more abrasion resistant...

I've been riding my Mojo hard for many months, been through a drivetrain or two, a few sets of cables and i've seen my share of dusty or mud infested tracks and some fun rocky stuff too. I even had some international baggage handlers 'look after' my bike while racing/riding overseas.

Apart from a few small chips and rubs on the paintwork where I haven't had protective film, i'd say the bike is still looking dead sexy and retains all it's original 'ooooh' factor whenever anyone comes up for a looksee while i'm out riding trails. The bright green frame really stands out (especially after a wash).

If you put protective film on to a well prepared surface, it will stay there very well (clearBra, Helicopter tape, Avery... whatever). If you stick it on a greasy/dusty/recently handled surface it will probably come off sooner rather than later. Prep is the key.

My previous bike (Giant Anthem) also got a number of chips and paint rub through similar use (except where I put protective film), so I would say the paintwork on the Mojo fares no better or worse than any other bike.

It's a mountain bike, and stuff is going to happen... and as it happens, it's mostly fun stuff, with the very occasional 'off'.

If you are holding off buying a Mojo because it might get marked up... (or any bike) well maybe you should keep riding your roadie or borrow somone's mtb instead :thumbsup:

And no... you can't borrow mine!

· Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,027 Posts
jmelani said:
Great, great bike. I really considered buying a Mojo. I was able to see several that had been ridden hard for months. They all looked fairly chewed up, some also had protective tape falling off that looked less than great. Mostly saw cable rub, scrapes and lots of paint chips. One guy had chain suck and the frame held up structurally, but looked awful. This is probably just a cosmetic issue, but it's the only issue that is keeping me from a purchase. Oh course, it's a mountain bike so this will not matter to many.
If the tape was falling off, that's no fault of the bike. Cable rub happens on any frame. It just may look worse because the Mojo is such a piece of art to begin with than any knicks, scratches, dings, etc that wouldn't even garner a second look on a different frame looks "bad" on the mojo.

I've seen a lot of mojos in the past year and they hold up just as well as any other frame

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I can sure tell that you all here are satisfied owners. That's nice to see. I'm the kind of person that thinks of a high-end bike as half artwork, half function. So a bunch of paint chips does matter to me. I'm thinking that just about everything I buy doesn't need to be wrapped in protective tape, but maybe the Mojo is worth the effort?

Is there anything that could be done in the manufacturing process that would make the frame a bit tougher? Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death.

· Unpredictable
2,257 Posts
What's the point of a tough finish if you aren't going to ride it? Name me one bike that looks like shop floor after a year of hard action??? Leave the mojo for someone who really wants one - oh, mine is now 8 months and >200km old. I've never taped it and it looks good to me (although I did put a number of adhesive chair leg felt pads at points of cable rub). Latest little episode broke the titanium bottle cage, twisted the stem off line, broke the cycle computer mount as well as a rib and hand, but the frame looks unmarked.

· Has a cycling disorder
530 Posts
jmelani said:
I'm the kind of person that thinks of a high-end bike as half artwork, half function. So a bunch of paint chips does matter to me. [/QUOTE

Do I think the Mojo is functional art?
Yes, I'd even hang it on the wall (except she who must be obeyed says otherwise ;)

Am I finicky about paint chips?
Hell yes... this ride cost me a pretty penny, so I want it to look good for as long as possible which I guess is why I made a protective film kit for my Mojo that's likely to keep even the most fastidious Mojo owner happy.

Get a Mojo (or something just as fun) whack some kind of protection on that puppy and go out and play...
And if you're still worried about paint chips... just throw yourself under the bike whenever you're about to crash. Blood dries, wounds heal and chicks dig scars :D

· Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,027 Posts
jmelani said:
Thanks for all the replies. I can sure tell that you all here are satisfied owners. That's nice to see. I'm the kind of person that thinks of a high-end bike as half artwork, half function. So a bunch of paint chips does matter to me. I'm thinking that just about everything I buy doesn't need to be wrapped in protective tape, but maybe the Mojo is worth the effort?

Is there anything that could be done in the manufacturing process that would make the frame a bit tougher? Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death.
Easy solution: If you don't want paint chips, don't get a painted one :rolleyes: If you've been following the Ibis forum....the most annoying thing people find with the finish of the frame is that the paint chips easily....that is why they tape it. But another easy remedy is just to get the plain clear one. However, ANY bike will have protective film over ANY area that is prone to cable rub and that has nothing to do with how durable the Mojo is...that will happen to any bike.

You don't need to do anything....don't put tape on it then. Your first post said that the mojo looked terrible because there was tape peeling off it. Again...that has nothing to do with the frame. Don't tape it if the TAPE looks bad to you.

Your complaints are basically that the paint sucks and that bikes can get damaged. The first problem is easily rectified. 2nd problem is just a matter of normal wear/tear with ANY bike/frame

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.