Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to attempt my first wheel truing today. I printed up three instruction guides from the internet. It can't be that hard, right?

I guess the real question is- is it easier or harder with a couple brews? Maybe there is a scientifically proven relationship curve between brews consumed and precision of trued wheel?

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can also try Four Peak's Kiltlifter! It's one of the best beers around! You can pick up a six pack at Bashas or better yet, drive down to Four Peaks and get a growler or two. Hey is this what you would call a thread HIJACK!

·
Something goes here...
2,089 Posts
hfy108 said:
I'm about to attempt my first wheel truing today. I printed up three instruction guides from the internet. It can't be that hard, right?

I guess the real question is- is it easier or harder with a couple brews? Maybe there is a scientifically proven relationship curve between brews consumed and precision of trued wheel?
Truing is easy. Building a wheel is the hard part. Just remember to take your time and only turn the nipple 1/4 turn each time. The more time you take, the better it will be. Just enjoy it and you'll be ok.

That said, screw it, drink beer and play with different nipples later. ;)

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright- its done; I had to replace a total of four spokes. I realized when I started that when I replaced a spoke a month earlier I had put it in wrong. Oops. That's probably why I had today's problem on the trail. . . who knows.

The wheel was so screwed that I ended up loosening all spokes, hand tightening them all then starting from there. It took close to an hour but the wheel looks good now.

I'll see how it does on Hawes tomorrow morning.

Now it's time for the beer!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,275 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
Truing is easy. Building a wheel is the hard part. Just remember to take your time and only turn the nipple 1/4 turn each time. The more time you take, the better it will be. Just enjoy it and you'll be ok.

That said, screw it, drink beer and play with different nipples later. ;)
Heh, I've found the opposite can be true sometimes. If your wheel has taken some pretty big hits eventually it's out of true when all of the spokes have "even" tension, so you have to use uneven tension, and sometimes it just gets too great and you either can't get it true in the stand or on the rides it starts snapping spokes. In that case it's easier to build up a new wheel rather than continue to fix the old one. You do have to be familiar with building wheels, but there's few things in bike maint. that are as rewarding as building your own wheels, so set down with sheldon brown and make em round.

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
hfy108 said:

Truing a wheel is a piece of cake. Do you have a truing stand (not necessary, but makes it a bit easier)? I got a real cheap stand from Performance years ago, and it's helpful to get a wheel truely true.

Do you plan to get drunk, or just a bit lubed. If the former, I'd say it will make harder...

·
I, Mudd
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skinny-tire said:
Truing a wheel is a piece of cake. Do you have a truing stand (not necessary, but makes it a bit easier)? I got a real cheap stand from Performance years ago, and it's helpful to get a wheel truely true.
Here are my truing stands:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.