Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time since owning a 29er, I can actually say Ide wished Ide had a 26er. It was very tight multi switchbacks and very smooth. I actually found the niner a bit cumbersome handling the tight turns and had to slow much more for each turn. Outside this section of trail there was no place I could make up ground with the 29er atributes.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
This and the acceleration issues are the only things stopping me from pulling the trigger, as where I live and ride there are a lot of tight wooded singletrack situations that I fear the bike wont like too much...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have enough bikes in the stable to have 26" and 29" tires:D My "race" bike and big-hit bike are 26", but my SS is 29", and we could always stretch the definition a bit and say my 'cross bike is a 29er..does it help if I'm running 40mm tires on it???

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I ride in the same..

Just J said:
This and the acceleration issues are the only things stopping me from pulling the trigger, as where I live and ride there are a lot of tight wooded singletrack situations that I fear the bike wont like too much...
type of terrain and rarely have any handling issue's. remember not all 29er's handle the same, some are quicker handling than others. This is sometime's true even if they have identical geometry, just like 26ers. how many 71ha/73sa xc bikes have you ridden that felt completely different from each other?.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
edouble said:
type of terrain and rarely have any handling issue's. remember not all 29er's handle the same, some are quicker handling than others. This is sometime's true even if they have identical geometry, just like 26ers. how many 71ha/73sa xc bikes have you ridden that felt completely different from each other?.
Im running an Asylum with 100mm reba. I really think its more the long wheelbase and the overall length than anything else. This section of switchback(s) single track was lined with sapplings on each side so it wasnt just the wheelbase. I do have 26ers (4 to be exact). I shoulda brought my Canon rigid for that one.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Fisty said:
Im running an Asylum with 100mm reba. I really think its more the long wheelbase and the overall length than anything else. This section of switchback(s) single track was lined with sapplings on each side so it wasnt just the wheelbase. I do have 26ers (4 to be exact). I shoulda brought my Canon rigid for that one.
a full sus with a 100mm fork is not exactly what i'd call a nimble bike. ;)

i purposely had walt make me a fork with a little less rake and now my bike (a rigid hardtail) hanldes really tight twisty stuff much better than any bike i have ever ridden.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Hmm from what I gather the Asylum has a 43.7" wheelbase, which is exactly the same as the RIP 9 which is my current top of the list 29er... This is beginning to be a difficult decision!

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I have a bike with a steep HA (72.5) and one with a 71 and you can definately tell the diffference in slow thight twisty single track. When you add a longer wheel base to a slacker headangle it does become hard to get the bike thru the tight turns. I not sure it is just a 29 thing because I have felt the same with 26 inch bikes.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
max-a-mill said:
a full sus with a 100mm fork is not exactly what i'd call a nimble bike. ;)
A Racer X is about as nimble as a FS gets. Setting the fork to 80mm would help a bit but as I say, the bike just seemed too friggin long. I have a Flyte Celsius 9 Im buildin with an 80mm. Im gonna go back and see how that works through that section.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Fisty said:
I had an Asylum with a 100 Reba on it. There is one trail around here that was impossible to go as fast on as a 26" bike for me. The other day I rode a Titus 29er, same geometry as my Asylum, with an 80mm Reba on it and it was a lot snappier feeling in the tight stuf than mine was with the 100mm Reba.

I rode it back to back with Titus Racer-X 26". The 26" did accelerate better than the 29" and was easier to get up to speed on the uphills but in most other instances I could ride the 29er faster through most other terrain. The 29er smoothed out the trail better and I could carry more speed even though it had 1" less travel front and rear. This 29er didn't feel any slower handlingwise in the turns.

Not sure if this helps but I was really surprised at how differently the bikes rode with different fork travel. Also, on that particular trail I didn't miss the extra 20mm comfortwise.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Accurate explanation

Enoch said:
I have a bike with a steep HA (72.5) and one with a 71 and you can definately tell the diffference in slow thight twisty single track. When you add a longer wheel base to a slacker headangle it does become hard to get the bike thru the tight turns. I not sure it is just a 29 thing because I have felt the same with 26 inch bikes.
Enoch is correct. My Sugar is one of the worst bikes I have owned when it comes to navigating switchbacks. Then I rode a different FS 29er with a shorter wheelbase and steeper HA. It was the best handling 26" or 29" wheeled bike I have ever ridden.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Just J said:
Hmm from what I gather the Asylum has a 43.7" wheelbase, which is exactly the same as the RIP 9 which is my current top of the list 29er... This is beginning to be a difficult decision!
More to it than that. My best 26" wheel bike for switchbacks is my Coiler DL. 46" wheelbase, 150mm of travel on both ends, 66 degree HTA and a way-high BB. I have nailed switchbacks on the Coiler I had never close close to riding before. The SlingShot 29er is just as good but with totally different geometry.

The Coiler also does OK on fast twisty trails once I adapt to the technique needed.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
29Colossus said:
I doubt it. I think it is more related to skills.
The corners were way to tight to lean the bike, especially with any speed to speak of and with sapllings bordering each side of the trail it was impossible. I did manage to skid and counter a few but that got hairy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.