Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Ballstein Models
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The forecast called for 30 degrees, snow and 35 mph winds. Five guys, five bikes, and a big VW van. What a better day to spend the day away from kids and reality. Tom-Red Intense, Walt-Orange Santa Cruz, Nelson(photos)-Silver Niner, Doug-Flamed Trek, and Mike-Blue Mongoose had a great time. Mike in particular, he was bored by the challenge of the stunts and cranked the tomfoolery with additional speed and wheelies resulting in a couple of spectacular (injury free) biffs caught by the camera for all time. Who would have thought that a gem of trail like this would be located in central Wisconsin. The IMBA got this one right in placing Levis on the Epic Ride list.

Attachments

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Gotta love that temperature. Lots of great bridge rides on that trial aswell. Was it hard to find the trial under all them leaves?

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Joel. said:
Gotta love that temperature. Lots of great bridge rides on that trial aswell. Was it hard to find the trial under all them leaves?
It's very hard for me to find the trail under the leaves. They haven't dropped here in Kentucky yet, but I've went off the trail before. This is a trail I've logged 300 miles on in a year and it's still hard for me to find it at speeds sometime.

To the op:
Fantastic post and pictures.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Nice job on the pictures Nelson!

I didn't get outside the state this year and still managed to have some great rides, this was one of them. Steve M. and the guys do a great job at Levis.

The leaves only were difficult in a few spots. They were at that sweet spot where they only covered the stuff you should ignore. Next week, who knows?

Walt

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nice pics from an unexpected location. Good to see another beautiful area of our country that we don't normally see here on MTBR.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nice! Looks like an awesome time! I was riding as well in Wisconsin this weekend, but about an hour-ish? west? Standing rocks county park outside of stevens point, we had sunny skies all day saturday, a bit breezy but still a blast never the less...

·
singletrack bound
2,995 Posts
way to go gentlemen! :yesnod:

I went OTB twice today! sheesh.....twice?

I thought you don't OTB on the 29er......

guess I was wrong.

Tone.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thanks!

You brought back one of my fondest memories of racing from my youth. In a race, I remember riding around the rock in pic 2 of the second post and seeing the view from pic 4. I remember the view and terrain taking me completely by surprise as I hadn't ridden the trail before and in the haze of race mode, I didn't realize my surroundings. That took me way back, thanks again. That was 14 years ago!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Levis is indeed a midwest charm. Great stuff up there. I try to make it a few times a year. Thanks for sharing!

·
Ballstein Models
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was really impressed at the variety of trail types at Levis. It is now on my list to ride at least once a year.

The leaves were perfect. Enough had fallen to lightly blanket but not obscure the trail. Really made for some spectacular impressions when changing from greens to reds to yellow then pine forest. I especially enjoyed the stuff like the sidewinder trail. It reminded me of the mountain biking with exposure I have done in Arizona or (more so) Europe. Nice drop offs and overhangs. I would have never expected to find such terrain in Wisconsin.

All morning, especially while my fat arse suffered on the climbs, I wished I hadn't strapped my SLR to my chest, but taking a look at the results I am glad I did.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts