Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally at a point where I want some data from my mtb riding. I have the Cateye Strada Cadence on my road bike. Love cadence ... is a must for any computer. Very happy with the Cateye and would put the same thing on the mtb, except I am concerned about the wires surviving.

I do XC and will be adding endurance to the mix this summer. Will wired survive?

So: Wired or wireless?

· Registered
196 Posts
i had a wired on my front suspension mtn bike.
made sure the wire had enough slack to work with the shock.
took it for a ride around the block hit a big dip and when the shock compressed the loose wire turned into the tire and got ripped in half by the knobby tires.

side story:

so my lovely wife got me a new one that was wireless
she got it from the coolest bike store in the usa. WALMART :madman:

i figured **** it was only $10 with a return we had so i'd just eat the $10 throw it on the bike and wait a couple weeks till payday to buy another one.

today i went for a ride and i looked at the speedo. it said i was going 65mph, i was stopped under a tree drinking some water.
i'm gonna bring the damn thing back and just ride without a computer for a couple weeks.

· since 4/10/2009
37,143 Posts
I had good luck with wired models back when I didn't use GPS. The key is routing the wire and making sure it won't snag on anything when the fork compresses, but that's not too tough. You just have to remember to try it or you'll get a nice surprise one day.

Wireless computers and mtb's are tricky because the wireless transmitter has to transmit farther than on a road bike. That creates some trouble, but there are some with a signal boost to compensate (I can't remember which ones, though).

I do know the Cateye Double Wireless has a stronger transmitter since it transmits speed AND cadence from a wireless piece on the chainstay, not the fork leg. You might consider the Garmin Edge 500, too, but that depends on whether you want wireless or not, or would prefer wired. Me, I don't think I'd be happy with a wired cadence sensor. Too much wire for that.

· Registered
106 Posts
micycle mike said:
i had a wired on my front suspension mtn bike.
made sure the wire had enough slack to work with the shock.
took it for a ride around the block hit a big dip and when the shock compressed the loose wire turned into the tire and got ripped in half by the knobby tires.

side story:

so my lovely wife got me a new one that was wireless
she got it from the coolest bike store in the usa. WALMART :madman:

i figured **** it was only $10 with a return we had so i'd just eat the $10 throw it on the bike and wait a couple weeks till payday to buy another one.

today i went for a ride and i looked at the speedo. it said i was going 65mph, i was stopped under a tree drinking some water.

i'm gonna bring the damn thing back and just ride without a computer for a couple weeks.
You know, that's funny.

I've been using the Edge 705 as the head unit for my Powertap hub. I was on the rollers the other day - the Edge told me I was doing 16,785 watts.

It didn't even hurt.

I am starting to wonder if I wouldn't be better to just start going back to looking at my watch when I leave, and again when I get back and recording how many hours I was out.

· Registered
196 Posts
i like to keep track of my mph as i'm riding so i know if i'm riding at my full speed or not. moreso when riding on flat land or going down hills.

on trails i don't really care, but when i'm riding roads i do. i know i can ride 18-20mph on flat land without over doing myself and i like to keep it under 35mph down hillls unless i know the hills like the back of my hand.
this is on my mtn bike not a road bike.
so when i'm riding on flats i'll look down to make sure i'm going at least 17 mph and going down hills i'll look at it to make sure i'm not going too slow down the hills, i tend to over brake down hills unless i have the speedo.

i'm really afraid to spend the money on a nice entry level computer. i don't have a job and any money i spend on toys comes from selling other toys. so in order to spend $60 on a computer i need to find something i don't play with anymore that i can sell for $60. which also means i'll have to decide which i want more. a new computer or a set of clipless pedals.
i don't need a computer :)

· Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will prob get the Cateye double wireless. So much easier w/o that part. I like the wired version I have, so this should be ok.

The Garmin is too much $$$ right now. Then I'd want to add a powertap. Which opens a whole ball of expenses that I don't need.

Thanks!

· Registered
106 Posts
Well, I thought the Powertap was a "needed" item as well.

HAving had one for about a month, I will be selling it after Christmas. Too much data, too much information. Too much looking at charts and graphs when I get back from a ride.

Just too much.

I am not a racer, never will be a racer. I ride for enjoyment and just don't need all that data.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.