Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went over what tires we were using for street and DJ but what about the beads your using....I'm thinking about running a 2.2 Halo TwinRail in the back and a 2.35 Kenda SmallBlock8 in the front. Any preferences on beads or even tubeless? Also, will I loose any street-ability switching from a hollyroller to a smallblock8?

·
Registered
781 Posts
don't know about tubeless but I'd have a tendancy to stay away from them for DJ. As for Kevlar, I've had way too many tires pop off the rim from impacts (probably my bad timing) but I just go with wire these days.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Think of it this way, a kevlar bead is designed so you can fold the tire( ie carry a spare on a trail) and so they are lighter( think spandex XC guys), neither are really necessary for Dj's, as it is generally simple enough to carry a spare tire in the truck and light weight is well, up to you I guess.

·
h-town hucker
284 Posts
Pantelis said:
Could someone explain what a tbead is..sorry, i've never heard of it.

the bead of a tire is what keeps the tire on the rim. its the part on the tire that you put your tire lever under to take the tire off.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
to answer the last question, i don't think you will lose any street ability by switching to the SB8. i will be making the exact same switch as you pretty soon. the 8's roll so fast and can hold high pressure. the side walls on the 2.1 that my friend loned me are pretty thin, but for a front tire it should be fine. i think he has a light weight compound version or something. still, he has only gotten one flat with it..

·
Registered
288 Posts
ya, I would recommend sticking with a wire bead for DJ'n. Tubeless is nice, but I dont think its what you want.

oh, and UmbrousSoul, your avatar made me crack up

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I run composite-beaded WTB MutanoRaptors 2.4 and jump 3-4 times a week without any problems...

IMO, bead shouldn't make that big an impact as far as durability goes... It's all about tire pressure.

As to answer the OP's question... you're not losing anything by switching to a SB8. One of the best tires for street/DJ/park and will probably stick just as well, if not better, on concrete/asphalt than a holy roller.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeah, the SB8 has so many working edges at any time its bound to be great for jump and urban. I've heard they are crazy for pump tracks too due to their fast rolling.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would stick with a wire bead tire. If you're just doing street and DJ you don't really need to lighten up your bike for epic rides. It'll prevent you from pinch-flatting when you're doing street riding, so I would stick with wire-beaded tires.

·
Registered
592 Posts
sandyP1 said:
the bead of a tire is what keeps the tire on the rim. its the part on the tire that you put your tire lever under to take the tire off.
Oh ok. I know what your talking about. Thanks SandyP1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts