Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
crikki
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my title says it all. can anyone give me their opinion on which one to go with?
i'm looking at the Conti Vertical Pro 2.3
thanks
:confused:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
I think people are going to ask you what your going to do with the tires.

So what do you plan on doing with the tires you get?

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Folding tend to be lighter, wire tend to hold the rim a bit better. More importantly, wire is often used as a cost cutting measure, so they also indicate lower tpi casings and hard single compound rubber. For heavy duty tires this isn't the case though. The folding vert is better.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
folding tires weigh less, and that's why they make 'em. Might be a little easier to install/remove, too, but it's been so long since I've used a wire bead, I can't really remember.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
scottzg said:
Folding tend to be lighter, wire tend to hold the rim a bit better. More importantly, wire is often used as a cost cutting measure, so they also indicate lower tpi casings and hard single compound rubber. For heavy duty tires this isn't the case though. The folding vert is better.
i have found this not to be the case in nearly 100% of tires i've dealt with. sometimes easier to install because it holds the round shape a bit better but a kevlar bead almost always holds better once installed. the bigger issue though is weight, and wire bead tires generally have low tpi and crummier compounds.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Many tires come in both - kevlar (folding) bead and wire bead. Maxxis and many other tire companies claim that their kevlar and wire bead versions have the same rubber compound etc.

Kevlar has many advantages:

- lighter, so the rotational weight is reduced
- tire can be folded, so it is easier to stow, ship and transport
- easier to mount, helps a lot initially as well as with a flat during the ride

The only disadvantage is higher cost. So typically the wire bead version is less expensive.

Heavy tires such as 2-ply DH tires sometimes only come as wire bead and very light XC tires often only come as kevlar bead only. This might simply be smart product management: A heavy duty tire doesn't benefit from a kevlar bead that much as the sheer amount of rubber already makes the tire heavy and restsitant to folding. On the other hand it wouldn't be sensible to design a light tire and then ruin the outcome by putting a heavy wire bead in.

Personally I am using the wire bead versions of a tire - when I can get them - for my normal trail riding. But this is simply because I prefer durability over weight and tend to pick heavier tires anyway. However, the Conti Vert 2.3 is pretty light. Going for the folding version makes sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts