Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Wippermann's Connex chains recently.

And see these two models.
- Connex 9X1
- Connex 909

I'm getting the Connex 908 full nickel plated, but has any one used the Connex 9X1 it being a stainless steel chain. Have you tried something crazy like washing the chain with soap and running the chain unlubed.
Does it run smoother than a 908 nickel plated?

Anyone know whether Connex 909 brass plated chain runs better, does a brass plated chain run better than a nickel plated chain?

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I've run only the 908, nice chain but on the more limber side so shifting is not as percise as sram chains. The SS chains are weaker due to SS being weaker than steel. No idea on the plating issue, more important to run the right grease I believe than what the plating is, have fun!

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
I've run only the 908, nice chain but on the more limber side so shifting is not as percise as sram chains. The SS chains are weaker due to SS being weaker than steel. No idea on the plating issue, more important to run the right grease I believe than what the plating is, have fun!
The stainless chains are not weaker according to their testing and the Tour magazine test...
Test Data
Tour magazine (Germany) tested all major brand of bicycle chain and awareded Wippermann's Connex chain the "highest rating"

Breaking load results during the "Tour" magazine Test:

Brand
Model
Breaking Load in Newtons

conneX
9X1

conneX

Shimano
CN 7700

Shimano
HG 92

SRAM
PC 89 R

KMC
Z 9900

SRAM
PC 59

Campagnolo
C10

KMC
Z 9000

Point
SL 270

Campagnolo
C9

Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
jonowee said:
I've been looking at Wippermann's Connex chains recently.

And see these two models.
- Connex 9X1
- Connex 909

I'm getting the Connex 908 full nickel plated, but has any one used the Connex 9X1 it being a stainless steel chain. Have you tried something crazy like washing the chain with soap and running the chain unlubed.
Does it run smoother than a 908 nickel plated?

Anyone know whether Connex 909 brass plated chain runs better, does a brass plated chain run better than a nickel plated chain?
I've been using the 9X1 since end of April with great results. Nice, presice shifts, and wearing very well. Lots of life left with 500mi on it.

One thing though, it developed a skip under power in the 11t cog after about 200mi. I finally traced it to the Connex link. I'm not sure if the link stretched or what, but, everythings fine with a new SRAM powerlink on it.

I wouldn't advise running it without lube however.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
VpointVick said:
I've been using the 9X1 since end of April with great results. Nice, presice shifts, and wearing very well. Lots of life left with 500mi on it.

One thing though, it developed a skip under power in the 11t cog after about 200mi. I finally traced it to the Connex link. I'm not sure if the link stretched or what, but, everythings fine with a new SRAM powerlink on it.

I wouldn't advise running it without lube however.
One possible cause...check to make sure that the Connex link is/was oriented correctly. Unlike the SRAM, there is a right way and a wrong way to orient the link. The point in the slot should face down (ie: so the slot looks sort of like a heart). The more rounded edge of the slot should face toward the cogs.
Larry Mettler

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Hard to pay 2 times more for SS for only 10% stronger chain. I was impressed buy the sram 99, those pins pop hard when you break them to fit. Overall wipperman is a first rate chain. 908 does me but getting PC-69's for $16 does me way better. The srams seem laterally stiffer making shifing better, but the wippermans work well too but fad faster, have fun!

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ventanarama said:
The stainless chains are not weaker according to their testing and the Tour magazine test...
Test Data
Tour magazine (Germany) tested all major brand of bicycle chain and awareded Wippermann's Connex chain the "highest rating"
Strange?... No top end SRAM MTB chains, they tested a PC-89R road chain and a PC-59.

Anyone know any about brass-plated chains?

steve3 when you say "chain checker", do you mean to check chain stretch?

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
Ventanarama said:
One possible cause...check to make sure that the Connex link is/was oriented correctly. Unlike the SRAM, there is a right way and a wrong way to orient the link. The point in the slot should face down (ie: so the slot looks sort of like a heart). The more rounded edge of the slot should face toward the cogs.
Larry Mettler
I think you are absolutely right. In hindsight, the skip didn't start until after I had removed the chain for cleaning, and now that I look carefully at the link, that would completely explain what was happening.
I guess it never hurts to have a spare powerlink on hand, does it?

Thanks Larry.

Vick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.