Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at joining the Winter Park Race Series for fun and motivation. My wife has agreed to come along. Any advice on which race would be best for my wife who has intermediate bike handling skills but isn't ready for blacks or long climbs?

The Mary Jane Circuit seems to be the most reasonable but I can't remember what the Lonesome Whistle trail is like.

- Race 1 - June 11 - Hill Climb Kick-Off
- Race 2 - June 25 - X-C Super Loop
- Race 3 - July 9 - Valley Point-to-Point
- Race 4 - July 10 - Super Downhill
- Race 5 - July 30 - Crankworks Colorado X-Country
- Race 6 - August 20 - Mary Jane Circuit
- Race 7 - August 27 - King of the Rockies

http://www.epicsingletrack.com/default.asp

·
Registered
427 Posts
Uhh, Mary Jane is the most technical race of the series. Very rocky and rooty. I highly recommend that if she skips any of the races, skip that one.

The others are all great, King of the Rockies is much longer.

·
Total Goober
1,041 Posts
There are also not many passing opportunities at the beginning of Mary Jane (upper loop), so a first timer might get a little intimidated with a bunch of people stacked up behind them.

I believe the Super Loop has the least climbing.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Valley Point to Point is probably the easiest and shortest for beginners. They run a longer, harder course for everyone else. Of course, you've got to ride back to the resort once your done.

·
Registered
334 Posts
- Race 2 - June 25 - X-C Super Loop
- Race 3 - July 9 - Valley Point-to-Point

These are two great races. Is this her first time racing? If so, she should do it as beginner, course is about 2 miles shorter then the other classes. There is climbing right out of the gate, so be prepared, overall these were two of my favorite races. Last year it rained the whole time on the point to point race for most of the beginner racers. If she needs some girls to ride with, PM and I can give her more info.

If you want to get her warmed up, do the Rabbit Valley race in April MSC (Mountain States Cup). Fun race as well. :)

Awesome to see that she wants to join you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the feedback. Bikergal, i'll PM with her email address. I think Point to Point is the way to go but not looking forward to the ride back to town. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
nitecrwlr said:
Thanks again for the feedback. Bikergal, i'll PM with her email address. I think Point to Point is the way to go but not looking forward to the ride back to town. :)
I had the boyfriend meet me at the end so I didn't have to ride back. It wasn't bad, if it hadn't rained. But, since your both racing, that may not work, unless you can get some friends to pick you up. I was a sloppy mess when I was finished so it was a relief to have a ride back. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
To be honest, if its her first race, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Yeti Beti Bash. It's all women and it's completely non-technical. My wife did it last year and really dug it. It's in Denver, she can go ride the course ahead of time and really get a feel for the ride. It's really the perfect beginner race. I'd strongly steer you that direction and then send her up to WP if she liked it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can I ride Valley Point-to-Point in advance to see whats the trail like. I never raced on mtb and I am thing about this one. Searched the web and could not find much info. Thanks.

·
pedal me happy
202 Posts
I wish I hadn't waited so long to start racing as I really found out it is alot of fun and it is also a
great way to improve your riding. I'd say start in the beginner class and see how you do and just
have fun. I am not sure why I waited so long to get into racing, I think part of it was thinking that
I would be able to compete with everyone but you will fit in and you can move up when you feel
its time. So get out and do it and post back about your race.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just want to have fun. I'll wait for X-C Super Loop map to be posted and maybe I'll go to this one to. Will post results. not that it matters :)

·
pedal me happy
202 Posts
Wasn't meaning to post back about your results just how it goes for you and if you end up having fun.
During my first race while going all out for as long as I ever had and feeling like I could puke and I
thought to myself,( Is this really fun) but by the end of the race I was hooked.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts