Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm trying to get my head around this. A single Vee Rubber Snowshoe 2XL weighs 1800 grams. So a 3XL at 6" instead of 5.05" might weigh another 250 grams (half a pound). And the diameter of the tire on the wheel would be another 2" bigger, meaning you'd need even lower gears to have the same effort per mile as you would on a 2XL.

You could conceivably go to 24" rims in order to keep the diameter under control, but the economics for manufacturers and dealers aren't that great. You'd have to support another standard for wheels, and another series of parts that somebody would need to inventory to support another extremely niche market.

It's almost certain that no bike shop except perhaps a couple in Minnesota and Alaska would ever be able to do enough business to stock needed rims. My local shop is a very successful store in the greater NY area (where it snows, though not as much as MN and WI). They've sold only a couple of fat bikes per season. If anything breaks on my fat bike, I know they won't be able to fix it same day, but will have to wait for parts.

Also, it seems lots of people don't like the immense Q-factor of a fat bike drive train but you'd need even greater Q-factor to clear the tires. So what would that do to drive trains?

I'll believe it when I see it and when I see how they deal with these challenges. In the meantime, while it's possible that they'll do this, I'll go ahead and remain skeptical.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It could be possible actually! If Trek keeps releasing different sizes like the 27.5x4.5, I am sure someone else will release something different soon. 6" is ginormous! I'd be curious of that I tell you

OP, any link to that rumour?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Treks engineers found documents from farming that larger diameter narrower vs wide smaller diameter roll better thru soft materials with the same area contact patch

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

- Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can see it as a probability, it is Surly we're talking about. The Pugs utilize a 135mm offset arrangement, so why not offset it a bit more to clear a 6" tire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
16,342 Posts
Some good thoughts in this thread, and some that are either uninformed or trolling.

I'm in the camp that hasn't yet found a tire/rim combo that's too wide -- currently running 105mm rims with 2XL tires. Have room for 3XL's on this frame/fork.

That said, I recognize that those of us whom truly need (different from merely wanting) tires this wide to float on/over snow are few. Very small niche.

I've heard rumblings that Surly is going in a different direction than expected on this project. Looking forward to it, and certainly willing to try whatever they cook up. But not holding my breath that it's going to be better (where I live and ride) than what I have now. Nor am I expecting that they're going to get the broad-based support that this sort of thing needs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would be great for a few other options in the legitimate 5 inch tire class.

It doesn't always happen but more often or not my wife floats across the surface, and I dig a trench. Even if my weight journey takes me down to early college I'll still outweigh her by 80 lbds. It would be awesome to have a proportional contact patch to what she has with the 4.5 inch tires.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
I think it's cool that folks are pushing limits, super fat may not be my thing, but I can appreciate the possibilities.

I'd like to try a 6" tire in snow, curious to see how so much float will ride.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I've been saying for a few years the magic size is 8".

That would have sufficient volume to be able to support a bike and rider over very soft going - but you'd be in the deep stuff if you ever got stopped and tried to put a foot down, down, down.... :)

There are several impracticalities to such a tyre though, and unless riding recumbent trikes or quads becomes common, I can't see it ever happening.

6" is probably close to the practical limits right now with a direct drive chain to the rear wheel.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts