Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so its not a Turner -- we'll call it an "associate" of the ATM, but there aren't any stupid equations from engineer wannabe's with no qualifications beyond, "I read a book."

Anyway, thanks to Dirtdad making me a great deal on his barely used Pugsley. It still lacks part of a driveline that I'll be cannibalizing off the Spot tonight. Of course that means I'll be ordering some new Sram bits to do the shifting now and a few other misc. parts that are finding a new home on the purple beast.

Next to Pugs is my Kenda 2.3 so you can get an idea of just how big these tires really are if you haven't already seen them in person. They just make you laugh in amazement, they're so freaking cool. You can see they're quite a bit taller and of course the width completely dwarfs the puny Kenda.

So this will be my primary winter rig and should make for some fun summer adventures. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them, Dirtdad did a really good writeup when he built this up. For the money its a pretty impressive frame, the build quality is really nice, much better than the 1x1 that I was gonna build up for winter riding.

One final note -- just for laughs I checked and the Marge's with the Endomorph's do fit on the Mav DUC, shorten the travel to 4" like the 29ers do and...

Attachments

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
So's you'z wants to become a made man, yet you'z stray from the family, eh? There are prices to pay when you'z leave the circle without askin da boss, ya know? Independent thinkin' has a way of making peoples grow concrete feet if ya know whadimean.

Way too cool, I'm really wanting one for the summer possibilities as well. Throw on the racks and load up and do some exploring like Pat did. Nice snag, I didn't know DirtDat was sellin' or else I might have competed.....

Hey do me a favor; take a caliper and measure how wide the casing is on the tire. I'm curious if I was to mount one on a regular 26" SnoCat if it would fit in my 29er frame. Most likely not, but I'd imagine the overall height to be about the same as my niner SnoCat setup.

Have fun with it this winter. Maybe by spring I'll see you out on the trails.

Rando

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EndoRando said:
So's you'z wants to become a made man, yet you'z stray from the family, eh? There are prices to pay when you'z leave the circle without askin da boss, ya know? Independent thinkin' has a way of making peoples grow concrete feet if ya know whadimean.

Way too cool, I'm really wanting one for the summer possibilities as well. Throw on the racks and load up and do some exploring like Pat did. Nice snag, I didn't know DirtDat was sellin' or else I might have competed.....

Hey do me a favor; take a caliper and measure how wide the casing is on the tire. I'm curious if I was to mount one on a regular 26" SnoCat if it would fit in my 29er frame. Most likely not, but I'd imagine the overall height to be about the same as my niner SnoCat setup.

Have fun with it this winter. Maybe by spring I'll see you out on the trails.

Rando
Forgive me Godfather, that's why I said associate, I know Pugs can't be a part of the "family"...

I'll check tire width and let you know. It'll probably be a little different since the Marge's are a bit wider than the cats. I have a pair of unbuilt snowcat rims so maybe I can mount one up and check. I don't know how difficult/easy it is to remove the Endomorph yet.

When the knee heals, hit me up and you can take it for a spin.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
AK Chris said:
I have a pair of unbuilt snowcat rims so maybe I can mount one up and check.

When the knee heals, hit me up and you can take it for a spin.
Thanks Chris, just wondering if my snowbike could serve double duty somehow along the beaches. And thanks for the offer to try it out, I'll look forward to it. Let me know if there any parts I can help you out with.

Rando

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Oooohhh!! Gimme gimme! We actually have a little snow down here now that would make sense on a Pugs (not that I'm not riding everyday on the TNT mind you). Cool. That bike is still on my back burner for this year.

So, when you say it will "fit" in a DUC, do you mean it clears by 1mm, or that the fork would actually be very functional with the Morph/Marge combo if a travel limiter was installed? Wanna sort of lean the tire in there where it would ride and snap a pic?

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do but....

tscheezy said:
Oooohhh!! Gimme gimme! We actually have a little snow down here now that would make sense on a Pugs (not that I'm not riding everyday on the TNT mind you). Cool. That bike is still on my back burner for this year.

So, when you say it will "fit" in a DUC, do you mean it clears by 1mm, or that the fork would actually be very functional with the Morph/Marge combo if a travel limiter was installed? Wanna sort of lean the tire in there where it would ride and snap a pic?
.... it'll have to wait till tomorrow because I left my digicam it at work... for a... ahem... project... I was uh... "working" on.

There is some room with the tires in the DUC, more than 1mm at least. It might rub a bit if that balloon of a tire gets rolling around in the turns. But at higher pressures it would *probably* be fine.

It was a total impulse buy, but I couldn't decide between a Pack or a Flux so I went and entirely different route when this popped up in the classifieds. Call it dumb luck I guess. Plus the Spot is also about to get a new finish, fork or two and a small spec overhaul.

As you may have seen, we've had about a foot and a half of snow dropped on us in the last week or so here in Anchortown so the Pugs will be right at home in the fresh powder.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drumstix said:
Wow what a great tool for you guy's to go nordic Seal head bashing :D
Yes, the floatation will work wonders when I'm out clubbing baby seals. I can just ride right up to them and, WHACK!!!!

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Lucky...Ever take it off any sweet jumps?

I'm waiting for my tubular cement to come from QPB so I can tack down the drive side of my tires. Utah mountains are finally getting some snow this week. 5 psi at 20 degrees, here I come!

By the way, we need to lobby for a snow/sand bike forum. There are enough issues unique to these bikes that our own forum would be really helpful.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm with you there

Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
By the way, we need to lobby for a snow/sand bike forum. There are enough issues unique to these bikes that our own forum would be really helpful.
That might be cool, or I was thinking about a Surly forum. I think it would see way more traffic than some of the other brand boards like the Ibex, K2 or the DBR/Raleigh.

There are a lot of snowbike questions and lots of people here with experience, maybe the snow/sand forum would be better.

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pugs/duc pics

O-k, I've had a couple ask questions after doing this as a joke. Clearance is tight, but who know's, it just *might* work. If the Endomorph's will mount up on a puny XC rim I can check it out for real.

The photos were taken with the tires about 2" from the crown. There was still a good millimeter or so with the crown resting on the tire.

Rando was asking for a width of the Endomorph's, I measured 92mm mounted on the Marge's -- pretty awesome.

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
AK Chris said:
That might be cool, or I was thinking about a Surly forum. I think it would see way more traffic than some of the other brand boards like the Ibex, K2 or the DBR/Raleigh.

There are a lot of snowbike questions and lots of people here with experience, maybe the snow/sand forum would be better.
airwreck? dcg? hows about it guys? snowbike, here i come! maybe....

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
AK Chris said:
Rando was asking for a width of the Endomorph's, I measured 92mm mounted on the Marge's -- pretty awesome.
Yowza, thanks Chris. Even if the Endomorphs narrowed a bit on SnoCats, I still don't think they'd fit. Bummer. The research continues......

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tscheezy said:
Those clearance pics are dangerous. Very dangerous. My credit card just became quite frightened...
I know how you feel. My checking account has taken a bit of a beating in the last couple weeks and I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet -- except for me of course. :D :D :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Endomorphs with Maverick DUC

A Surly Endomorph on a DX32 rim narrows the tyre by 10mm, which could help.
And while we're there, the Endomorph/DX32 combination looks marginal in a Surly 1x1 Fork

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.