Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what type of 29er tires people are riding in the winter. I live in PA and the trails are usually pretty wet/muddy/slippery during the winter and spring. When I rode a 26" bike I was really happy with Maxxis High Rollers, but they are not made in 29". Currently I have Maxxis Ignitors on my GF Paragon and Maxxis Crossmarks on my GF Rig. The ignitors tend to hold mud and the crossmarks tread isn't very aggressive. I'm a XC rider and want something that climbs well and won't slip over wet rocks and roots. Tell what ya got and how you feel about them!

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I have been running the 2.2 Specialized Purgatory tires for the winter time, and they have been great. Last year, i ran the Captains front and rear and i survived, but this this year i am having much more fun with the Purgatory tires, very good traction, and possibly even more important with the weather we have here in south western PA....they are very predictable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
+1 on the Michelin's for a winter rear - I used to ride a Michelin in the rear and Stout in the front for winter riding the combination worked well. This year I am riding Bontrager Jones XR tubeless.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Whitney.Smith said:
I'm interested in what type of 29er tires people are riding in the winter. I live in PA and the trails are usually pretty wet/muddy/slippery during the winter and spring. When I rode a 26" bike I was really happy with Maxxis High Rollers, but they are not made in 29". Currently I have Maxxis Ignitors on my GF Paragon and Maxxis Crossmarks on my GF Rig. The ignitors tend to hold mud and the crossmarks tread isn't very aggressive. I'm a XC rider and want something that climbs well and won't slip over wet rocks and roots. Tell what ya got and how you feel about them!
I have Michelin XC-ATs as well. Not as fat or sticky as some, but they hook up pretty good in anything soft or crumbly, and I only notice the extra rolling resistance on the road. I used to live in western MA, and I'd be pretty happy with this tire for general East Coast winter sludge. I'm using 'em front and rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.