Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enormous thanks to everyone who came out and benched and hand finished trail at Buzzards Roost today (December 22). No final numbers but we got everything that we needed to done.

We are hoping to connect the machine built and hand built section within the nest few weeks this will give us something to get on and ride.

It takes everyone to get this stuff done and turnout has been terrific, who knew during the dead of winter we could get 20 people for a trail work day. Everyone out there rocked it huge.
I will try and keep people posted on possible work days in the future.
Again I say THANKS A TON FOR COMING TO HELP!!!!!!!!

Kelly Halter

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Ditto!

Actually, 22 people, a high of 22 degrees on the 22nd. Crazy. Thanks again to all, this is going well, and can be continued all winter long (snow fall willing) as the cold dosn't impact things too much. Hardy crowd we had today. One fine MTBR member drove from Gillette, Wyo to help out. That's 3 hours one way? Good work Bravo11!

Let's not let up, keep the stoke going and we'll have a good long chunk ready to ride soon enough

Attachments

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
More shots

The Stewardess brought out hot cocoa.

Look all them tools! And we had so many folks come out, we just about ran out of tools

And a shot of folks finishing up the spoil piles from the machine built section up top!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hell Yeah!

The trailwork today was unbelieveable, definitely some awesome local trailbuilders in the Black Hills! Days like this will keep me stoked all winter.

G

·
that's some serious progres there boys and girls! definitely need more saturdays off. anything planned for the 29th?? If so , count me in. need to get back up there!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Fun times! My fingers are still cramped! We covered a lot of ground today, glad to finally get out!.

Lots of killer trail built today, happy happy joy joy

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Guys! Looks great. Thanks to everyone for helping out. Sadly I was stuck at work. Had to come in earlier due to some scheduling troubles. See everyone at the New Years Ride!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Tim, but I am the one who should be thanking you guys. You Black Hills guys rock and I am glad I could come over and help out.

Just walking the parts of the trail that I did, it looks like it will be a hoot to ride. You guys laid it out great. It should have some really fun flow.

·
Registered
692 Posts
11 Bravo said:
Thanks for the kind words Tim, but I am the one who should be thanking you guys. You Black Hills guys rock and I am glad I could come over and help out.

Just walking the parts of the trail that I did, it looks like it will be a hoot to ride. You guys laid it out great. It should have some really fun flow.
Enjoyed meeting and working with you! A good time was had by all.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Pass this on to the worker bees! We just pin flagged to the South (so uphill) of the gate, you can hoof it up the two track road and you'll see the pin flag line. That's the next bit to be hand benched. We'll be working the SK500 downhill to join the hand bench cut just to the East of where the roads "Y" (the trailer is right there).

Three or four more work days like we just had should have the hand bench connected to the machine cut bench. That'll be a pretty good lick of new trail, gents. It will be all pinflagged to the machine cut just after Kwanza.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We will have some people working tomorrow morning early nothing big but if you need tools and guidance some one will be there to boss people around

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
All right people! We've got 1,200 feet by hand left to go (on this particular section). Much of that is pinflagged and work can be done to the South end of the hand cut bench, walk uphill on the road past the gate, or walk up the trail, you can't miss it. Same as before, flags mark the downhill edge of the trail's tread. Keep on trucking. There is a neat bench between two cliffbands to work soon, it will be *very* neat.

There is another 1,200 feet to go with the SK500 (on this particular section), as it works from the top down to join the hand built bench. That will have us at just shy of two miles done once we join the two sections. There is finish work to do behind the machine as well. You'll see it, two cones mark the end of hand finish. Move the cones downhill as you work. Hand finish goes easier than bench cutting, so pick you battles.

Once we complete that <2 miles, we'll have a ride/run on the section as an out and back. And we'll keep on trucking to get the loop closed. That Eastern loop can/should be a ride during www.bhfattirefestival.com come the end of May. Things are looking good folks, thanks.

Watch here (MTBR) for the next posted work day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts