Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm done with shoe covers. I'm done with gehtto baggies on my feet. I'm not buying "toasters" for my shoes.

I simply want the warmest shoe out there. There is very little info on any of these forums so I thought I would start in hopes it would catch on.

This is what I heave learned and would like any input from any of your real life (not hearsay) experiences.

Shimano MW80: No info anywear. Apparently a new shoe for Shimano. (I have ordered a pair from my LBS to try on).

Lake: Warm but may have quality issues

Sidi Diablo GTX: Not enough insulation

Pear Izumi Barrier GTX: May be the ticket. 200G insulation throughout.

Please feel free to give your input. My feet are my weak point with the cold and before I drop $250 I want to make sure I (and you) have made the right choice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
This time of year shoes are probably on sale somewhere. Going with cleats? I use a shoe with no mesh venting that I got onsale. They are several sizes larger. Take your winter wool/poly or whatever socks with. Give thicker ski or winter socks a try. Lake has made a very good winter mountain shoe, probably still available. I have a pair for riding here in Leadville (darn cold). I also use a lightweight hiking shoe oversized with thick wool socks (flat pedals.) those shoes made by Alpine Stars were mislabled, bought cheap. Anyway thats what I do. I have problems with cold feet too. Your feet need more room too.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Lots of options...none perfect...

I go with a shoe with no vents(or tape the vents for the winter) and a 1/2 size larger than normal so I can wear a thicker wool sock. Usually use my ski socks. And i rarely make a ride more than 2 hours in the weather below 32 degrees. Also use the flat pedals and hiking boots in the mid winter.

·
The White Jeff W
5,696 Posts
When I coached ice hockey my toes would be solid blocks of ice by the end of practice. I bought a couple packs of the 'toasti toes' at walmart & put them under the footbeds in my skates and problem solved. They last for hours, too.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Actually there is a lot of info on winter shoes on this forum. Check the Alaska forum.

Unless something new just came out, the answer is Lake.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Lake and Performance neoprene booties for longer or colder rides. With an addendum. The first pair of Lakes I bought had a wire for laces. I ended up finding some barely used older ones that I love. They ran narrow which I assume is why the guy was getting rid of them but they broke in very nicely.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
I second the lakes, warm, waterproof, thick soles( you'll appreciate if you have to stand or walk any length of time) mine are going on their 4th season. My friend has the sidi winter shoes and hates them says theyre too cold

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I tried all of the conventional remedies without success. I bought Lake 300ZX shoes (the originals with velcro laces) about 6 years ago. I tried using just them with some wool socks and I still had issues. I then started using charcoal heater packs. That combo seemed to work good for 2-3 winters but I also noticed the heater packs were very inconsistent. Some were just right, some didn't put out enough heat and my feet went cold, and others got so darn hot I had to stop and remove them before they burned my feet.

2 years ago I finally decided to invest in Hotronics M4 heated insoles. Best $200 I ever spent. They have 4 heat levels that you can easily adjust on the trail with your gloves on. It can get down to 20F (about the coldest we see normally) and I just dial in the right amount of heat and ride 4+ hours in cozy comfort. Long weekend rides and good night rides are on the menu for me this winter.

BTW, my Lakes are just about trashed so I'm moving to Answer Kashmir winter shoes. They were discontinued about 2 years ago so I can't provide much advice on current shoes. With the M4, I think you just need something that has no vents or has the vents all taped up and somewhere to hang the batteries.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
My lakes (301) are good to 0F for about a 2 hour ride with just wool socks. I bought a pair that was 2 sizes too big since that was the smallest they had on super clearance. The BOA system is so good, I don't even notice and my feet never slide around. I love these boots.

I have a pair of the Answer Kashmirs that I used before I got the lakes. The velcro wore out in one season. If you walk in any deep snow, the snow will catch on the velcro straps and pull them up. The velco will then be packed with snow and not stick at all at that point. I had to finish several rides with no working velcro. They also weren't all that warm. I now use these from about 40F until the snow flies.

·
Prez NMBA
719 Posts
i went with the specialized ones, as reported, not quite as warm as lakes and they don't come up as high on your ankle but better price and from what i can see better quality. they are very water proof and just got a size bigger and wear heavy socks. I can also use them in spring/fall when I don't want to get my feet wet and they are not too hot on cooler days.

·
OnTheTrailAgain
2,165 Posts
slowtwitch said:
I'm done with shoe covers. I'm done with gehtto baggies on my feet. I'm not buying "toasters" for my shoes.

I simply want the warmest shoe out there. There is very little info on any of these forums so I thought I would start in hopes it would catch on.

This is what I heave learned and would like any input from any of your real life (not hearsay) experiences.

Shimano MW80: No info anywear. Apparently a new shoe for Shimano. (I have ordered a pair from my LBS to try on).

Lake: Warm but may have quality issues

Sidi Diablo GTX: Not enough insulation

Pear Izumi Barrier GTX: May be the ticket. 200G insulation throughout.

Please feel free to give your input. My feet are my weak point with the cold and before I drop $250 I want to make sure I (and you) have made the right choice.

Thanks!
I'm doing the same research (although my budget is under $150.).

First step (no pun intended)?
As someone who works in frigidly cold temperatures under extreme conditions (I'm a Roofer), the most important thing is your socks. A great pair of socks can really shore up a good pair of boots.

Get a insulated/part wool socks with some type of wicking capability (not "do all" biking socks, but MTB/Biking specific cold weather socks). Smartwool brand seems to be on to something.

Next step? Waterproofness. If all your riding boots are are waterproof and you have a great pair of insulating socks then you're more than 1/2 way there.

I'll keep reading the thread to see how it progresses, but I believe it was MTB Action that has a few pair of winter specific riding boots in their latest (Nov) issue.

:)

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
SIDI had a pair with some form of heated insole.

http://www.sidiusa.com/toaster.html is what I believe they were. I remember them being prohibiticely expensive. Other than those, a few friends have the Shimano winter shoes. They're waterproof and apparently are very comfy. Probably good to like -15°C ish depending on how much your feet suck (mine suck the most of anyone).

·
He be a moose too.
2,161 Posts
Steiny, those foot warmers, do they just keep your toes warm or your entire foot? Looking it up, seems like only the toes. Is the toes just enough to keep warm and the rest of the foot follows?

I'm from Minnesota and we have colder weather than most places for sure, so this conversation is of interest. Just got a pair of the Lake boots, haven't even put the cleats in yet. I have some thick wool socks that should go quite well with the boots.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
pinguwin said:
Steiny, those foot warmers, do they just keep your toes warm or your entire foot? Looking it up, seems like only the toes. Is the toes just enough to keep warm and the rest of the foot follows?

I'm from Minnesota and we have colder weather than most places for sure, so this conversation is of interest. Just got a pair of the Lake boots, haven't even put the cleats in yet. I have some thick wool socks that should go quite well with the boots.

I went with their molded insoles which position the heating element under the base of the toes and ball of the foot area. It seems to work really well. If you can keep the extremities warm (all the way out at the toes and small part of the foot) the rest just follows. When I use them I don't really notice them - they just do their thing and I'm comfortable.

My hands and feet are extremely sensitive to the cold. Last night I did a night ride at about 40F with Answer Kashmir winter boots on with good socks but no Hotronics. I rode very hard and was sweating but I could feel my feet were getting cold toward the end of the ride. Any colder and I need to switch to the Hotronics or I just get painful and numb feet.

If you can get by with just good socks and boots, that's good - no need to spend extra money. But if you're coming up short with good boots and socks, the Hotronics are worth considering. I like to ride year round and I just couldn't do it in comfort without help from the Hotronics.

Hope that didn't sound like a commercial and was helpful.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
maybe switch it up to flats for winter rides if nothing else is keeping your feet warm? skate shoes/light hikers and some flats with big pins would work good, just order a half size bigger than your regular pair and buy a great pair of ski/snowboard socks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts