Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ride all year and have always had this problem: TOO HOT.

I sweat like mad after a half hour. I have to remove my glasses cause they fog up.

First - I find that wear half the clothing that others I ride with wear.
Second - I even rarely wear anything on my head (skull cap / head band)
Third - I wear breathable stuff?!?!?

I ride from 0 and above. I do most riding when the ground is frozen from 20 to 30.

I have sidi winter boots with smartwools and my feet can go for hours not warm but no pain.

Tights are thin not wind proof up to PI Amfibs.

Top either a short or long sleeved wicker with either one of three tops (Sporthill Infusion / Mountain Hardwear Transition Zip or Patagonia Wind Track top) These are more x-country ski tops. By the end of the ride I am unzipped and my arms are sopping wet nmot to mention my gloves.

Many others that I ride with even add another layer on top of this or a vest.

All three have a degree of wind resistance to them.

I start cool my torso, head and hands. First my head gets hot then the body then my hands. If I start with less then I will be cold and I do not see being able to remove anything that I ride with.

Thanks guys-

Rob

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drewdane said:
What are your questions?
Based on my mindless dribble / endless wandering the Q must be lost.

Why am I still so hot, what am I doing wrong? I cannot see what it is. Or maybe it is the LBF club scenario that I will always be hot and sweat tons.

I want to be able to complete a ride with my glasses on cause I keep gettin hit in the face with branches and I also hate that my arms get so wet.

I guess that I could slow down, but then what is the point of goin out and gettin exercise.

Thanks-

Rob

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
You wear less than I do,

But you have to start cold it should take about 15 mins to warm-up, then you start to get hot.

I wear wind proof tights on the front, but an extremely breathable rear of lycra
Same with the top, wind proof front but very breathable back.

Most cross country wear is breathable, but not extremely so.

·
Ti Fat
261 Posts
Wear thinner gear on the first layers, with a heavier one next to the windbreaker /outside layer. When you get hot, pull off the heavy layer and pack it until you get cold again.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Jack'sDad said:
Based on my mindless dribble / endless wandering the Q must be lost.

Why am I still so hot, what am I doing wrong? I cannot see what it is. Or maybe it is the LBF club scenario that I will always be hot and sweat tons.

I want to be able to complete a ride with my glasses on cause I keep gettin hit in the face with branches and I also hate that my arms get so wet.

I guess that I could slow down, but then what is the point of goin out and gettin exercise.

Thanks-

Rob
Ah, I see.

Like others have said, dress in layers, and dress so that you start off chilly. If you start warm, then you'll be too hot once your metabolism kicks into gear.

Are you overweight? My experience has been that the fatter I am, the easier it is for me to overheat.

You need eyewear - getting rid of your glasses is not an option if you like your eyes. Treat your lenses with anti-fog stuff. Cat Crap (really!) is a good brand. Some glasses come with vents on the sides to help prevent fogging - I've found them to be of mixed help, but YMMV.

Finally, I suggest you dress for you, not for what you think you're supposed to wear just because it's cold out. Some people are like that - they can get away with shorts and a mid-weight jersey on days when everybody else is bundled up like eskimos.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,897 Posts
I only ride wearing one wind layer be that in the undershirt or vest on top. Only one. I sweat like a pig too. Here's what I normally wear.

A compression (Under Armour type) baselayer. A looser fit mid layer: either a poly long underwear shirt or my Craft S3 (wind layer) undershirt. Finally a merino wool sweater. If I wear my Craft shirt I do not wear a wind vest. If I don't I wear a windvest to start but then take it off after five or ten minutes of riding. I've also found that for my hands non wind proof gloves work best. I now use a cheapo poly knit glove with 40 gram Thinsulate insulation on the inside. I do bring a wind vest and a liner glove in my bag as a just-in-case measure. For my head I use a thin skull cap or a thicker skullcap. The trick I've learned is to warmup and then take off that extra layer no longer needed just before I begin to seriously sweat. This way the cold air isn't uncomfortable to feel and it starts the evaporation process before there's too much moisture to freeze.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what has me confused.

I only wear what seems to be the bare minimum. The baselayer of long or short sleeves and an outer layer of varying warmth. My thinnest one I cannot wear alone cause it is windstopper and that means plastic bag almost. The others I can wear alone but then they get a tad moist vs me wearing a base.

I usually wear nothing other than my helmet or remove it after 15 minutes on my head.

I consider myself to be LBF (large but fit) 200 should be 160 I guess at 5'10". Maybe I need in incorporate my vest as a wind layer, but then my elbows and shoulders will get cool???

I am the guy wearing my baggie short down to 35 while everyone else is fully covered up.

Thanks-

Rob

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Bingo, lose that 1/4 inch layer of blubber and you will be shivering along with the rest of us.

Serously I went from 195 to 180 the difference in warmth is very noticable.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
I, too, am a very sweaty person. For weather like you can expect in Illinois (a little below freezing) I would reccomend trying fleece-backed lycra (or just lycra) long sleeve tights and jersey over a thin polypropalyne underwear layer. Once you get warmed up this should keep enough heat in but wick away all the moisture and keep you dry. If you find it is too cold then speed up to build more heat.

Also, consider carrying a light nylon shell in case you stop or if the weather gets colder than you expect - that way you can get back home or to your car without getting hypothermia. You could also use it to warm up then take it off and enjoy the breezy feeling of the lycra or fleece.

When I go XC skiing at -15 degrees C (5 F) I usually wear a polypro undershirt, a short sleeve cycling jersey, and a thin fleece jacket or sweater. I am usually a little cool to begin with but I warm up after ten or fifteen minutes.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Jack'sDad said:

Rob
That's just your physiology. I'm right there with you brother. In summer I drench from head to toe. In winter I've had to stop and rapidly get layers off from overheating.

This winter my few rides this winter have been more succes. On top I wear a shell, a couple of light polyester shirts. On the bottom it's biking shorts covered with cheap nylon pants and gaiters over Answer Kashmir boots (thick wool socks inside). On my head, it's just a thin sweat band that keeps my ears warm and soakes up any sweat. Oh yeah, and I'm bald too. I ride without a hat in 20F (that is after I get started, I just pull the balaclava around my neck if I start getting hot.)

When I start, I'm VERY cold. And this is the key, you'll generate your own body heat. Of course, you also have to take it easy in the winter as the sweat can really hurt you if you have to stop. Though, I think I've helped myself for dressing almost 100% in the garage before I leave. The sooner I get going the less I freeze.

My eyewear always fogs. If you treat your glasses with the anti-fog stuff (let dry liberally) it does a pretty good job. Ultimately I'd like to get some tactical goggles with the the fan in them. They don't fog.

Be sure to take extra layers out in case you HAVE to stop. This especially includes a THICK HAT!!! The thing I'm really missing is a remote starter. It would be nice to buzz by my car, get the heater going then jump in when it is

1 - 12 of 12 Posts