Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said the conditions are prime!

The combination of a solid ice base with about an inch of hardpack snow makes it perfect for 'studless' tires :thumbsup:

glad you guys liked it!

cheers

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
I'm calling studs! Did everyone have them?

Just riding around the Hammer the other day, with a fraction of that chunk, I wiped out twice having my front wheel deflecting off rocks...

Great video; I actually watched it to completion which I don't usually do...

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
philshep said:
Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said the conditions are prime!

The combination of a solid ice base with about an inch of hardpack snow makes it perfect for 'studless' tires :thumbsup:

glad you guys liked it!

cheers
Conditions are not so prime here in Ottawa, too much fluffy snow. We need ambitious walkers and snowshoers to pack down more trail for longer rides. Those slackers stick too close to the parking lot.

Your conditions look perfect.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
from my experience, you need studs on some sections of the double track. Once in the woods - all you need is skills... Not that I am too skilled, but the only spill I took was on the frozen icy doubletrack... There is no ice in the woods...

Biggie said:

Just riding around the Hammer the other day, with a fraction of that chunk, I wiped out twice having my front wheel deflecting off rocks...

Great video; I actually watched it to completion which I don't usually do...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Biggie said:
No studs, absolutely not

The doubletrack can get funny at times... last year we had a huge chain reaction where one person tapped their brakes and 5 other people hit the deck! Makes for an interesting day ;)

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
philshep said:
Is it me, or are we having some of the best snow riding conditions in a long time?
Agreed 100%. The trails throughout the Hamilton/Dundas/Ancaster/Milton area are in the best January condition I can recall. It's great. :thumbsup:

I had a fantastic ride in the storm on Monday night (and avoided getting crushed by a lady in a Ford Fusion who lost control of her car on Jerseyville road and ended up in the ditch across from the Lions Pool by mere minutes... :eek: )!

(On the flip side, it means I have to drive 2 hours to go XC skiing, which is a bit of a pain. :()

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another awesome ride yesterday!

for those doubting the mild temperatures melting everything away.... don't.

the tiny microclimate of the Agreement Forest is like a refrigerator; everything's still intact, fast and flowy.

Heading out again right now...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was there today Phil - new signs,and some trail map sings too!
It's officially called the Halton Region Forest on the signs now!
Great conditions, still a fair bit of snow on the ground, lots of people out riding!!!
Anyone not out riding should be - it's not cold, doesn't take a lot of bundling up to stay warm and the trails are great riding!!
Great videos Phil!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.