Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a warm weather destination post-Christmas. We are looking at Tucson, but we really aren’t into big cities. Any suburbs or outlying towns that are smaller, have Airbnbs, and good riding?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,618 Posts
Like Wild Outdoor World (formerly Way out West) WOW, near Tucson?

· Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
St. George?
We dd St. George a couple of winters ago. It's good, but my wife is wanting somewhere that's warmer than that. My son and I love St. George/Virgin area, but it was still pretty chilly. We did Las Cruces last Thanksgiving, and that was pretty awesome weather-wise, but the riding wasn't great.

As for type of riding: we are definitely gravity-focused with my son leaning heavily toward freeride (hence Virgin a couple of years back). He's pumped on Tucson because of the skate parks and dirt jumps, but I would love to stay somewhere fairly quiet, personally.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
AZT south of Tucson towards Sonoita is fantastic, especially the scenery.
100% agree. However its not gravity focused ridding. Its for sure more XC/Trail ridding.

We dd St. George a couple of winters ago. It's good, but my wife is wanting somewhere that's warmer than that. My son and I love St. George/Virgin area, but it was still pretty chilly. We did Las Cruces last Thanksgiving, and that was pretty awesome weather-wise, but the riding wasn't great.

As for type of riding: we are definitely gravity-focused with my son leaning heavily toward freeride (hence Virgin a couple of years back). He's pumped on Tucson because of the skate parks and dirt jumps, but I would love to stay somewhere fairly quiet, personally.
Wanting to be gravity focused, Tucson is going to be a better choice. If you don't mind driving to trail heads, check out Oro Valley or Oracle. They're on the north side of Tucson, and while not small towns, they do offer peace and quiet unlike the middle of Tucson. 50 year trail is one of my personal favorites in the state, and its right there. You can drive down to ride the other side of Mt Lemon as well.

· Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
100% agree. However its not gravity focused ridding. Its for sure more XC/Trail ridding.

Wanting to be gravity focused, Tucson is going to be a better choice. If you don't mind driving to trail heads, check out Oro Valley or Oracle. They're on the north side of Tucson, and while not small towns, they do offer peace and quiet unlike the middle of Tucson. 50 year trail is one of my personal favorites in the state, and its right there. You can drive down to ride the other side of Mt Lemon as well.
Awesome, thanks!

And for those recommending LV, we're driving in from Arkansas for like a week (too many bikes to fly).. so Tucson is about as far as we're willing to drive.

· Registered
8,228 Posts
Maybe consider Cottonwood. It won't be quite as warm as Tucson but has an old downtown is a smaller town, and with Clarkdale and nearby Jerome some of the old mining town flavor. Deadhorse Ranch has some fun riding and there also is the new Blowout Wash system. Sedona is a 15 min drive, Black Canyon trail is 30 min, and any number of rides in Phoenix 90 min. There are bike parks in both Cottonwood and Sedona and DH shuttle options off Mingus Mtn although the latter likely snowed out at the top during that time frame.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,618 Posts
I presume you know about the one in Sedona which is pretty sweet and is a big part of the Sedona Mtn Bike Festival. The new one in Cottonwood was built last spring on the hill behind Mountain View Preparatory and is open to the public.

View attachment 1953120
Oh, I thought you meant bike park as in gravity trails and at least shuttling, if not lifts. I do think that the term should be "DH park" or "DH resort" or whatever, but the industry has taken to calling them just "bike parks", which doesn't help to differentiate between things like this and even pump tracks...

· Registered
8,228 Posts
Oh, I thought you meant bike park as in gravity trails and at least shuttling, if not lifts. I do think that the term should be "DH park" or "DH resort" or whatever, but the industry has taken to calling them just "bike parks", which doesn't help to differentiate between things like this and even pump tracks...
How about skills park? Either way, no lift access or DH Parks in Arizona unless you count Sunrise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.