Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That probably doesn't belong in the 29er forum but it's the only one I really read so I'll try it here and a Mod can move it if they see fit.
The family and I are heading to CO to do a little skiing, I want to do some riding while I"m in the area. Is there going to be much worth riding out there this time of year? Will everything be mud or snow covered? My plan was to go south into New Mexico in search of some warmer weather and riding, but I'm not sure that's going to be a good option. I dont' really want to go any further west (like Phoenix) because that would just put me that much further from home. Any other good places to go that anyone can think of? Texas? Oklahoma perhaps? I don't really know what's out there. I'd love to hear some input from everyone.
Thanks.
 

·
Rohloff
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
jpcoll01 said:
That probably doesn't belong in the 29er forum but it's the only one I really read so I'll try it here and a Mod can move it if they see fit.
The family and I are heading to CO to do a little skiing, I want to do some riding while I"m in the area. Is there going to be much worth riding out there this time of year? Will everything be mud or snow covered? My plan was to go south into New Mexico in search of some warmer weather and riding, but I'm not sure that's going to be a good option. I dont' really want to go any further west (like Phoenix) because that would just put me that much further from home. Any other good places to go that anyone can think of? Texas? Oklahoma perhaps? I don't really know what's out there. I'd love to hear some input from everyone.
Thanks.
I live and ride in Austin, TX. I just spent Thanksgiving week traveling and riding in New Mexico. I think one problem you are going to find is it is going to be quite cold in New Mexico and Colorado. I think snow will limit riding on many trails. I think you'll find warm weather and nice trails in Texas. The lower latitude and elevation will give you warmer weather and there are lots of good trails around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
jpcoll01 said:
That probably doesn't belong in the 29er forum but it's the only one I really read so I'll try it here and a Mod can move it if they see fit.
The family and I are heading to CO to do a little skiing, I want to do some riding while I"m in the area. Is there going to be much worth riding out there this time of year? Will everything be mud or snow covered? My plan was to go south into New Mexico in search of some warmer weather and riding, but I'm not sure that's going to be a good option. I dont' really want to go any further west (like Phoenix) because that would just put me that much further from home. Any other good places to go that anyone can think of? Texas? Oklahoma perhaps? I don't really know what's out there. I'd love to hear some input from everyone.
Thanks.
Might try Big Bend Ranch State Park in TX. It'll be snow free and has some decent singletrack. Stop by Desert Sports for the 411 on trails.
 

·
Rohloff
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Hermosa said:
Might try Big Bend Ranch State Park in TX. It'll be snow free and has some decent singletrack. Stop by Desert Sports for the 411 on trails.
If you are in that area, make sure you hit the Lajitas Loop near the Lajitas Airport. There's some fun, flowing desert singletrack there.
 

·
Rohloff
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
iliketoridebikes said:
what would be the trails to hit while in austin
There's some OK riding in Austin. Most of the best riding is an hours or so drive outside of town.

Muleshoe (near Spicewood, TX): 7+ miles of wooded singletrack with rolling hills and lots of twists and turns and just a few technical sections.

Rocky Hill Ranch (near Smithville, TX): 12+ miles of varying terrain from rocky lung busting hills to rolling flowing smooth trails through piney woods.

City Park: (in Austin, TX): I haven't been there, yet. It's suppose to be a pretty rugged technically challenging area. I've heard a number of people say "It's a good place to get hurt."

Pedernales State Park (near Dripping Springs, TX): Not well rated on the trail reviews. The secret is to go find the horse trails. Rough, rugged, hilly, remote adventure.

Madrone Trail (near Canyon, TX) A great place to test your full suspension bike on endless rockgardens. 9+ miles

Flat Rock Creek (near Comfort, TX) A favorite of many in central Texas. Challenging rugged course. 9+ miles

Reimers Ranch (near Dripping Springs, TX): 10+ miles of singletrack. The beginners trail is too easy for most. The intermediate trail is quite a step up with a number of fun technical sections.
 

·
Keep on Rockin...
Joined
·
6,473 Posts
Austin...

iliketoridebikes said:
what would be the trails to hit while in austin
Two years ago I headed down toward warmth to visit a friend and take a break from the NE slush and cold.

Most of the time I spent riding the trails right on the edge of town.

One day trip was spent at Rocky Hill Ranch. I was really pretty fun and definitely worth the scurry out of town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Miker J said:
Two years ago I headed down toward warmth to visit a friend and take a break from the NE slush and cold.

Most of the time I spent riding the trails right on the edge of town.

One day trip was spent at Rocky Hill Ranch. I was really pretty fun and definitely worth the scurry out of town.
So what trails did ya ride other then at Rocky Hill ranch? Which ones can you suggest? I'm thinking of getting from the cold for a few and suggestions would be great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Albuquerque can be fantastic in the winter, just depends, sometimes it's in the 50's or even 60's, sometimes not. You can almost always ride the foothills trail system on the west side of the Sandia mountains all year, fun stuff, nothing super technical. There is also White Mesa, which is a great winter riding spot about 45 minutes North West. Aside from being a great winter riding destination, it will provide some of the most beautiful and unique desert scenery you have ever seen. Do a search, there are some great photos around. Enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
Your timing is great!

I just rode Ft. Stanton near Lincoln/Capitan/Ruidoso this week for the first time. 60-miles of singletrack here. And it's all a closed loop system with marked trails and maps availabke at the trailhead. Too friggin easy and within an hour or two from the OK border. Here is some pictures on a ride on 12/17/2008
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
P.S. Foothills in ABQ is a simple network of dedicated trails in two areas - North and South. They are not connected but each is a fun ride in itself. Search for the City of Albuquerque Open Space webpage and trailheads will be shown on primitive maps. Riding in either spot is awesome.

But if you went south for warmer temps, the Ft. Stannton network would be great for a couple of days...or do Ft. Stanton once and then continue onto Las Cruces/El Paso for even more. Here are some Las Cruces/Dona Ana pics.

Day 1 Ft. Stanton, Day 2 Las Cruces/Dona Anas would be epic worthy. Pictures were taken 12/16/2008.
 

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top