Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Try it on one wheel
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pal Rolandisimo and I just returned from a cold and windy ride at Thacher Park (in the hills SW of Albany NY).

Conditions: 18 deg. F, 30-50mph winds
Surface: 0.5 to 2 inches of ice under 1-4 inches of windblown snow

This was extremely challenging. The ice (there was an ice storm here last Monday) was sometimes glare and hard, and sometimes crunched down into a layer of dry leaves underneath. The snow on top prevented us from knowing which was where, so we'd be standing on the pedals, bulling our way through the breakable crust, and then we'd hit the glare, hard ice and spin right the heck out.

Riding on the flat through the breakable crust was like riding uphill, we were completely unable to generate any rolling momentum. Riding uphill was nigh impossible because we'd hit a glare patch and we'd immediately crash. We could delicately manage downhills if we carefully rode smoothly and straight, but as soon as we'd try to manuver, we'd slide out like a cartoon character on a banana peel.

We felt like we were rank beginners again. I couldn't imagine more difficult riding conditions. Fun, fun, fun!

·
Make some music
740 Posts
We've been lucky

In North Jersey we been blessed with some light snow that's super ridable. Get that fun snow feeling with fine traction. No cushion on the rocks though. Day rides, nite rides.. it's been good.

Keep up the fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.