Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread over on the Single Speed forum, but since all my parts will be of the Vintage persuasion, figured I'd make mention of it here and ask if anyone here has any winter projects going on?

Someone once asked if I have a decent picture of my XTR carbon levers.... you can see them here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=580629

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
See post in this form "new year, new project" that describes the changes I'm making to my Phoenix.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Drop Bar Conversions, Cruiser/Klunker

I am in the process of converting 2 of my older rides to drop bars.

Late 90's Trek 850 SS (vertical dropouts replaced with horizontal by someone else, got the frame on ebay for $65 shipped!) with Origin 8 Gary bars and probably a custom stem (read super short headtube)

93 Diamondback Overdrive with new Salsa Woodchippers, already have all the parts except the bars. They should be coming from Webcyclery this week! :thumbsup:

I am also fiddling with the build on my 80's schwinn cruiser/klunker bike. Not 100% sure where it will end up yet.

I will snap some pics and post them once I get the Woodchippers.

frog

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
No woodchippers

Looks like the 46 cm 25.4 clamp are out of stock so the Overdrive will have to wait until Feb. But the other 2 are still in the process, now I guess I better call the local builder and see about the custom stem for the trek.:thumbsup:

frog

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
1 cog frog said:
Looks like the 46 cm 25.4 clamp are out of stock so the Overdrive will have to wait until Feb. But the other 2 are still in the process, now I guess I better call the local builder and see about the custom stem for the trek.:thumbsup:

frog
I was checking my order around noon and universalcycles.com was still showing 3 of the 46cm bars, just checked again and they've got 2, but are out of 42's.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
Trek drop bar project

Not anything to get excited about, and not truly vintage, retro or classic, but a solid riding bike nonetheless. Trying to dial in the bar position, so far it is still too low, but I am working on it.

Is there a limit to how much steerer can be above the headset before things start getting dangerous?;)

USA Made steel frame, bought on ebay for $65 shipped. Previous owner had horizontal dropouts welded on, removed all traces of geary bits, and repainted the frame. My 2nd attempt at an offroad drop bar build.

Origin 8 Gary bars
generic adjustable stem (trying to dial in fit for bars)
a custom stem will be required, lots of rise and little reach!
Tektro linear pull levers (coming this week)
Avid SD-5 V-brakes
Salsa seatpost
Specialized cranks
UN-52 BB
marin rigid fork(will eventually be replaced with Kona P2)
Cane Creek headset
Crank Bros.Mallet pedals
Bontrager gel saddle
Surly/Rhino lite rear wheel
Amp research/Mavic front wheel
WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 tires
Salsa 36T chainring
ACS 20T freewheel

Haven't taken it offroad yet, still trying to dial in the bars, but hopefully soon!

frog

Attachments

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I am re-habbing my '91 Yo. New fork, wheels/tires, brakes, bars, cranks, cassette, chain, rings, headset....etc etc etc....It has been a franken-build for too long now.

Attachments

·
defender of bad taste
1,600 Posts
Schmitty said:
Man this is low hanging fruit for a group pummel fest... this place is getting soft.

-Schmitty-
Here you go, my winter ride this year, everything on the bike except seat/post, tensioner, pedals and drops is pre-1995.

Quality steel frame - check
Threaded headset / quill stem - check
Cantilevers - check
Rigid - check

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a Road Bike, But...

I'm stripping my old '82 Ross Super Gran Tour XV. I want to have it powder coated clear but the powder coat guy says they don't have much luck with clear coats. Yes, there is a clear powder coat - but they say it shows finger prints and rust? If the frame was bead blasted and clean in the shop, where would grease and finger prints come into the equation?

Also, (and this makes more sense), they say if they over-bake it, it will take on a yellowed look... But again, wouldn't that be the same problem over a colored powder coat? Finally, he told me that if they do end up with a bad finish, they can't strip it off and re-do it. This guy seemed bound and determined to steer me to a color. He pointed out all the shades of silver and gray. Can anyone comment on this idea of a clear powder coat? I like the idea of a stripped frame showing all the braze around the lugs, and I'm not the only one judging by the number of "Stripper" finishes I see being offered by bike manufacturers and the way they get snapped up...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.