Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new build, and this is where I'm starting.

Post your winter projects.... Oh, we people in Michigan need a winter project to stay sane, you who live in California, and the like wouldn't understand....;)

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,458 Posts
Omg

Suntour Self Energizing brakes... shades of 1991. Looking forward to seeing your project whenever it's done.

Or along the way.

--Sparty

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bingo.... Got them off our tandem Burley Bongo. The rear is self energizing, fronts are regular.

I'll post updates here.

Sparticus said:
Suntour Self Energizing brakes... shades of 1991. Looking forward to seeing your project whenever it's done.

Or along the way.

--Sparty

·
Registered
42 Posts
My winter project.

We've got winter here in California. It rained a bit today. :)

Here's the wife's Christmas present. This is the fourth bike I've bought her and she's ridden them all less than 100 miles (total!). I hope this one breaks the cycle (no pun intended).

Home Depot spacer and home-brewed chain tensioner from miscellaneous nut/bolt bin. XTR parts from the old school parts bin, took all the stock parts off except the brakes and wheels. Paid some coin for the carbon post and titanium stem, but well worth it for the weight savings. I think she's around 22lbs and needs a name...

-Hong

Attachments

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
i just gotta get my ole trek up and running, I was messing with the gear ratios too much and too the links out and couldn't put them back when my breaker broke

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'll get a pic in the morning of my commuter project. Its going to be geared, thats for sure and I just snagged a set of early 2000s Mavic/XT wheels for $25 for it. I just need a crank, cassette, and derailleurs to finish the build.

·
achiever
1,024 Posts
Pelican_Racing said:
Here's the wife's Christmas present. This is the fourth bike I've bought her and she's ridden them all less than 100 miles (total!). I hope this one breaks the cycle (no pun intended).
Maybe she'd ride more if you got her some grips? :D

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
gotta admit, I'm done.
this season has seen me build: surlys (steamroller and 1x1), ss'd schwinn urt, monstercrossed scandium kona and an 853 lemond for the wife, my heckler, the spin carbon wheel'd trek, my gardin "olympic" bike with spinergy spox conv'd to 7 speed freehub, mullet'd taiga, 3 speed banshee scirocco, khs for the daughter, cruiser bmx for my friend's kid... more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

This season has been absurdly fruitful in terms of project opportunities landing in my lap.

Only thing left on the drawing board is the 120mm disc hub'd ebb'd city/monstercrosser.
and that frame won't exist until I save enough to call Joel.
TBH it's such a "flight of fancy" type of bike that has NO reason to exist other than my desire to meld specific points I like about a couple different bikes into the same bike... I should NOT build it. But... y'know... wife supports me so how can I not? :D :rolleyes:

'kin 'ell... having a second kid chews through your time!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,672 Posts
My winter project consists of a beat up M960 crank, a cutter, various grit sandpaper and lots of elbow grease !!

I'm gonna bling into spring :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
driver bob said:
My winter project consists of a beat up M960 crank, a cutter, various grit sandpaper and lots of elbow grease !!

I'm gonna bling into spring :D
hacksaw, grinder, file(s), 320 grit, 600 grit, buffing wheel and aluminum/soft metal buffing compound, aluminum polish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BadPirate said:
hacksaw, grinder, file(s), 320 grit, 600 grit, buffing wheel and aluminum/soft metal buffing compound, aluminum polish.
Use the real oven cleaner not the odor free stuff to cut the ano. Worked like a charm in about a minute.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BadPirate said:
Use the real oven cleaner not the odor free stuff to cut the ano. Worked like a charm in about a minute.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here is my winter project, about a week old. I put it together with miscelaneous parts that I had in the garage. The frame had been hanging in the garage for about 6yrs. and every time I walked by it I kept saying to myself that I have to put this bike together and finally here is the finished project.

I changed the gear ratio since the build, I am running a 36/16 now, 44/18 is pictured.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts