Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 2009 Sortie Black... This one has an MC3R instead of an RP23. It will be slowly built up as a heavier duty XC or Marathon/Super D bike... Target weight is around 28 lbs using mostly parts that are left over (the only new part that is going on this bike are cable housing and cables). I got the frame for a kick ass deal from a friend of mine...

·
Om nom nom
18 Posts
Wow that's really nice looking!

Might want to make sure that you run full length cables under that frame if you can. if the cables are exposed all kinds of dirt and stuff like that can get caught in the cable housing.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done... Total cost for the build was about $500 (I had to get a bunch of housing and cables) including the frame cost. The rest were gutted from my old race bike or recycled from the parts bin...
A little over 28 lbs just as predicted...

I had to creatively route the remote cable for the MC3R.

Not really digging how the chain contacts the seatstay pivot when on the small cog.

That's a crap load of cables out of the front end but since this will be a race bike, the dual lockout will be nice....

It's a mixture of X9, X0, and XTR... Wheelset is DT-Swiss 240/4.2 up front and American Classic and 3.1's in the back. Tires are 2.35 SB8 and WTB Prowler up front.
The Prowler weighs over 800 grams so I'll swap in a lighter tire for race day (and put in a 2.1 SB8 in the back) which should bring it down to the 27 lb range...

Not blingy but very functional... Test ride as soon as the snow clears...

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
SWEET. Nice build man, :cool:
What cassette range you running? a 12t, I have a 11t cog and in 2 ,9 there is a good 5mm of clearance from the frame.:confused:

You will love the frame man, I don't think you'll need to lockout the rear a lot personally, but for the long flats, why the hell not! I use level 3 propedal and only lockout on a fireroad, which is rare but lot of races have them. Climbs better with open supsension IMO.

:confused: Is that a 9spd twisty and 8 spd 12-34 cassette I see in your pics??:confused:

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your eyes do not deceive you. That is an 8 spd XTR cassette with a 9spd SRAM Gripshift... It works really well and the indexing is almost perfect but since the gripshifts are basically friction shifters, it really doesn't matter if you run 8 or 9 spd. You can't do the same for triggers obviously...
The clearance to the seatstay link will take care of itself after a few rides...

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Your eyes do not deceive you. That is an 8 spd XTR cassette with a 9spd SRAM Gripshift... It works really well and the indexing is almost perfect but since the gripshifts are basically friction shifters, it really doesn't matter if you run 8 or 9 spd. You can't do the same for triggers obviously...
The clearance to the seatstay link will take care of itself after a few rides...
Yeah, I have seen that trick before, but why?:madman: Why not use a 8spd twisty, I personally prefer perfect indexing to "almost perfect" indexing.

Let us know what you think about the frame after some serious rides.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DavidNeiles said:
Yeah, I have seen that trick before, but why?:madman: Why not use a 8spd twisty, I personally prefer perfect indexing to "almost perfect" indexing.

Let us know what you think about the frame after some serious rides.
I was on a budget for the build so all parts came from the bin or donated by an existing bike... Almost perfect would have to do...

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raja said:
Nice! What did the frame and shock weigh?
For my frame and shock (remember, the shock is not an RP23), the frame, shock with seat collar came in at exactly 7 lbs. Not exactly a lightweight compared to say, a 575 (my old alloy 575 was 6 lbs), the new ASR-5 or even my RFX (which weighs about the same but has almost 2" more travel) but it's not bad either.
Still dialing it in though...

RRB likes it too...

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
Looks good! Is that a brown RS Revelation? I've never seen one of those before.

You might want to put some protection on the drive side seatstay also. Save that beautiful paint job:). The seatstay on my Mission is low enough that the chain hits it when I ride hard. I'd imagine that the Sortie has a similar issue.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, it's an old Rev (from around 2006 or maybe before). It was on my 575 then on a SS and now it's on the Black... It works pretty dang well and super easy to work on also... Thanks for the heads up on the seat stay... I'll keep an eye on it... I have some extra lengths of old road tires that I use for stay protectors that I can use (yes, still trying to keep the build on the cheap)...

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
I agree. The Rev is a great fork. One of the few XC forks I've ridden that's almost as smooth as my Nixon.

Road tires work well for stay protectors. I really like using old inner tube. I basically wrap it around like bar tape and use electrical tape to keep the ends in place. The end result looks like one of those custom cut lizard skins that come with some frames:thumbsup:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.