Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in 3 days I will find my self at Winter Park, 12 hours away from the place I have to call home, Missery, that's Missouri for the folks not living here. I just got into the whole snowboarding thing, and I can't wait to go on some real mountians. The hills here just don't do it justice. But what I need help in is what kinda biking I'll be able to do while I'm there. Just can't go to Colorado without riding some. I heard the mtbing is about done for so I plan on bringing the cross bike.

I'm looking for any riding possible. Maybe a ride to the top and back? And suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The bike shops told me I'm pretty much limited to the roads. Any 2 to 3 hour rides would be nice, hell, and riding will be nice although I'm sure the boarding will be great too. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
icanseeformiles(andmiles)
241 Posts
what type? NONE

unless you want to road ride on packed snow and ice.

(and, btw, I work in Winter Park, and am there 5 days a week)

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Biking? Winter? Really?

Seriously, bring a road bike if you just need to get out, otherwise, singletrack will be under snow, even the ones in Denver. If not snow, then it will be serious mud (supposed to warm up within 3 days). Whereas I've ridden a significant amount of days in January in the past, this year won't be as good (at least not in the next week or so).

If you just have to get out, I would suggest Urban Riding in down town Denver.

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
g-wiz said:
... I just got into the whole snowboarding thing, ...
My deepest sympathies...;)

There is bike riding in Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Good luck on finding anything you can ride to the top of...

·
single track ****
628 Posts
maybe try

Might try riding to Frasier, and then heading west(can't remember exact rd./trail names w/out a map). The snowmobiles pack stuff down pretty good up that way. Have fun!

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
I wouldn't try to ride up Berthoud Pass right now if I were you. I rode a portion of the opposite side of the pass, from I-70 up to the Henderson Mine turn today, and it's damn sketchy -- icy, tourist traffic, etc. And that's on the side of the pass with southern exposure. I can only imagine how bad the ride down the north-facing WP side would be right now. Plus, we're expecting snow this weekend.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
front range migz said:
Might try riding to Frasier, and then heading west(can't remember exact rd./trail names w/out a map). The snowmobiles pack stuff down pretty good up that way. Have fun!
finally, someone with the correct answer!
Check with Totally Wired Bike Shop in Fraser.
If you head out on any of the county roads you will find them well packed, unless there was recent snowfall. Many of the MTB trails are also snowmobile trails and they still get ridden (on MTB's) all winter.

·
i took the wheels home
215 Posts
airwreck said:
finally, someone with the correct answer!
Check with Totally Wired Bike Shop in Fraser.
If you head out on any of the county roads you will find them well packed, unless there was recent snowfall. Many of the MTB trails are also snowmobile trails and they still get ridden (on MTB's) all winter.
The bike path between Winter Park and Fraser was clear when I was up in that area last week and I imagine that it will still be clean.

Check with Wade, Cody or Doug at Totally Wired Cyclery. If the bike shop is closed, go ask for them at the Rocky Mountain Roastery, conveniently located next to the bike shop in Fraser. They are good folks and would be more than able to help you find something ridable. And get a cup of coffee while your there. It's top notch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts