Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for me and my wife, anyway. We'll be up this weekend with our kids and another family and will only be able to get away for a half day pass. With young kids we haven't ridden much technical in the past few years, but we used to try our hand at sport class DH a few (crap, it's been ten years) ago.

We're looking for suggestions for a couple of runs for some lift-served riding. We aren't big drop/jump/stunt people, but a few rocks and bumps don't scare us.

Also, any ideas on lift ticket coupons?

If you're up this weekend, we'll be the couple on funny colored Santa Cruz's; my Heckler is purple and my wife's Superlight is a newly painted Granny Smith Apple sparkle.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Glenn D. said:
If you're up this weekend, we'll be the couple on funny colored Santa Cruz's; my Heckler is purple and my wife's Superlight is a newly painted Granny Smith Apple sparkle.
This thread is worthless without pictures!

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Drop the Seat said:
Yeah, you might not want to go ride at WP this weekend with your wife and kids....
Why not? The beginner trails won't be used for any of the races. And take a brake and watch slopestyle.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Winter Park is for old people. I am growing into it, too.

Seriously: Only very few trails are tough/rough. I believe besides Trestle, No Quarter and BAllUcanB there isn't anything not beginner friendly. Only issue might be the yahoos ploughing over the family at high speed.

Now - before you flame on me: I wrote beginner friendly for a purpose. I definitely like the way Winter Park builds. Most features allow beginners to roll them while the experts get air time. Great way to build a park. It is a training ground, confidence builder and progression teaser.

·
Flyin Pig
159 Posts
Don't let Crankworx dissuade you. Last year I went up Friday and Saturday with the family including grandparents. We got a condo for cheap. Riding the trails were fine. Some closures but it cycled over the weekend so I got to ride everything. We watched slopestyle and had a blast.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pau11y said:
This thread is worthless without pictures!

I've got a shorter stem on it now, and a PUSHed Vanilla RC.

If it comes in time, there will be a Gravity Dropper on this one, too.

This is our /second/third time being up at WP while Crankworx in there, all times by complete accident. However, it's our first to get a chance to ride the mountain. We'll spend most of one day riding the Alpine Slide, as my boys can't get enough speed. Thanks for the feedback on the trails.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My 45 year old mom rides all the trails at WP on an xc or am bike, I think you will be OK. Nothing big and scary, most features are rollable. Just pick a trail and go.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
karpiel666 said:
My 45 year old mom rides all the trails at WP on an xc or am bike, I think you will be OK. Nothing big and scary, most features are rollable. Just pick a trail and go.
Worthless w/o pics...kid!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
karpiel666 said:
I'm five years older than your mom. ;)

·
3 Legged Big Top
639 Posts
The red & black trail on the map might be a little much but the others should be fine. The tough features have go arounds.

Have Fun

·
Trestle Rental Shop Guy
87 Posts
karpiel666 said:
Worthless without pictures

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got back from WP; we watched a good bit of the Crankworx Slopestyle on Saturday before letting the kids run crazy on the Alpine Slide. We got our friend to watch our rugrats with her rugrats this morning and took the bikes up for a half-day pass at Winter Park. It was my wife's first time downhilling in about 8 years and my first time in about three years, so we took it easy. We had two great runs down Green World, and on our last trip we added jaunts through Long Trail and Free Speech.

My wife was loving her Green Monster, especially with the Gravity Dropper for the climbing on Green World. She did note that the Conti Vertical Pros were a little tame for the downhilling and wanted to make sure that I fixed that before our next trip up in September.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts